Limited HD channels from Airtel DTH

THERE IS SOMETHING KNOWN AS TRANSPONDERS. READ IT UP AND COME BACK. No. of channels and quality of channels depend on transponders and bandwidth. There is a scarcity of both at the moment. Wait for couple of months and you will have ESPN HD and other HD channels.

Well as customer i dont have to know business models of telecasters like airtel..who are supposed to be big guys of telecom industry. If Airtel cant offer Cricket in HD while its competitors can offer..is itself proof there is something wrong with them..not with others. I was hooked into Airtel by flashy Ads, but end result is disaster.

Like there is portability in telephone numbers - in mobile ..Govt should intervene and work towards portability , where customers can switch providers . Time to bring in some regulation to improve quality in service, content of these DTH service providers who fleece customers.

Ok i agree ADTV has clearly mishandled the situation. there must be an awful lot of people like you who are really pissed of on not having Star Cricket HD, after all it is an important event.
But you can also look it from different side, remember ADTV is one of the best if looked from a perspective of an all rounder. Its Picture quality, sound quality are really unparalleled, not to forget there advantage of Universal remote. Hence it is just a matter of choice which worse will u choose. ADTV fortunately is a lesser "worse".

The only two which come near are TS and d2h, right?. TS is a good choice but with a very bleak future till mid 2012. They are awfully short of transponders and there is no hope for further SD leave alone HD channels. They are now time multiplexing channels for saving Bandwidth.
d2h....well it is a world record holder for compression i guess. It has 9 TP's and has most no. of HD and SD channels. There is a lot of complain regarding it's PQ and AQ which are most important thing for a DTH opi guess.

And one more thing HD is still in its infacy don't expect everything from ur DTH op, he he.

----------

THERE IS SOMETHING KNOWN AS TRANSPONDERS. READ IT UP AND COME BACK.

No. of channels and quality of channels depend on transponders and bandwidth.

There is a scarcity of both at the moment. Wait for couple of months and you will have ESPN HD and other HD channels.

actually yes and no both. ADTV is the most insulated in terms of transponder bandwidth. It already has 12 SES-7 TP's and the menu also shows additional 5-6 TP's of NSS 11(i think they have leased it already). It brings the total to 17-18 which is the highest and equal to DishTV's 18.
Even if we just consider SES 7 satellites it has still 1-2 TP's left vacant. So question of transponder scarcity is not much at the moment with ADTV, though of course the more the better.

"ESPN HD and Star Cricket HD has been priced Rs 141.80 and 119.90 respectively on À la carte basis. For DTH operators, the ESPN and Star Cricket HD bouquet is priced at Rs 183.20.
" - Source - ESS goes high def, launches ESPN HD & Star Cricket HD | SportzPower

How are Tata Sky and D2H able to afford such a high price for ESPN and Star Cricket HD? is this the rate per customer or can someone explain me what rate has been quoted in the article?

I am an Airtel HD DVR customer, The picture and Audio Quality is amazing and the recording is also very good and simple and the HD channels it provides right now (7) are all of excellent quality.
In an ideal world I would want both the HD sports channels, was just curious how Videocon was affording such high price? If anyone can explain this it would help many people understand this problem !

I really envy Tata Sky HD and D2H HD. Look at number of HD channels they have. They now have most of HD channels available in India including Star Cricket & ESPN HD, Star Alsi HD and D2H has even some more.While Airtel still lacks Star & ESPN HD.Airtel again got in sleeping mode for adding channels, many new channels launch like Sony MIX, History TV 18... But Airtel has no clue if these channels would be added :(

Back