Linksys Wag200g configuration

Yippie.......finally my laptop detected the wireless network and got connected

I went to advanced settings of wireless network, checked up "use windows to configure my wireless settings" and it did the job.........!! As far as i rem, i had did the same thing 3 days back, but it had failed to start up then.....

Thanx for all your help friends.....

But there is one more problem...... i am getting a pathetic speed on the wireless network, half of what i get when i connect the ethernet wire.....

here is the speedtest imae for it
https://www.speedtest.net
....... and my siggy shows the speedtest image when connected through lan

any solution to this ?

also, i want to buy a splitter, can any one advise me which one to buy ?
which splitter would eliminate the hissing sound on the telephone.....

also, i want to buy a splitter, can any one advise me which one to buy ?
which splitter would eliminate the hissing sound on the telephone.....

If ur getting a hissing noise on the phone,
I'm guessing ur Phone is probably a Cordless (Maybe even corded)
and its picking up the Wireless signals as interference.
Even without a splitter I never get a Hissing noise or any disturbance on my Landline (I have a NON-wireless Router)

Oh and try and buy a expensive good quality Splitter, coz the 80 buck cheap piece of sh*t I picked up at Lamington causes more Line noise when its connected ,than when its detached.:hysterical:Make a wise investment, Buy something decent.

The Splitter that came with my UTSTAR modem, works great !!!!!!!

I used a corded phone in the one room wall jack.....while my router is connected in another room wall jack directly..... still i get a loud hissing sound.....

What skorpio1 says is correct; a cheap splitter is of no use. Try lamington Rd, if possible try to get a branded splitter. Regarding the low speeds thru the wireless
& getting the hissing sounds in your phone.

1) the tel wire coming to your house should first terminate at your splitter/router/modem and ONLY THEN go to other tel instruments. Since you don’t have a splitter I presume that your wire has joints entwined together, which can cause noise/low speeds due to oxidation/dirt between the wires.

2) If the tel instrument used is a cordless, then at what frequency does it operate on. If its 900 Mhz then it should not be a big problem & the above point holds. If it’s a hi power one it may be operating on 2.4 Ghz same as most wireless routers, in that case you will have to change the channel its operating on. In case you do this remember to select the same channel on the laptop to. In any case a splitter is a must.
3) Another cause of less speed could be loss of signal strength which can be caused by the distance between the WiFi router & your computer plus other obstructions like walls, partitions etc

4) Another reason for low speeds could be amt of RAM, the number of TSR’s operating in the background (they consume memory), OS updates going on in the background, the amount of security used on the laptop like firewall, vaccines, sniffers for BOT’s etc though it should not reduce the speeds like in your case.

5) There could be a remote possibility of someone else riding piggy back on your network & hogging the bandwidth, so If possible use the WPA2 PSK if possible also shut of the SSID transmissions of your wireless router, but before doing that select the option on your laptop which ensures that you can log in even if the SSID is not transmitted. I have done that on my laptop, I use Vista Home Basic. If you want check out the security aspects at Socrates?s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router even though its a different router & OS :)

As a matter of general interest for everybody check out 10 essential (and free!) security downloads for Windows some useful stuff there

I hope this helps

Whoa....... all possibilities covered by your reply @ socrates.Thanx a lot for replying......!!Have a doubt......you are saying to select the same channel on laptop and cordless phone.Wont the two devices interfere more in that case ?

he meant if they use the same channel, chances of interference are more.hence same channel is not advisable

If you are going to Lamington, then try a shop called Maxcom/Mexxon near shamrao vitthal bank.He has decent stuff and dirt cheap sh*t both.All the splitters are from China & Brands keep changing but he will recommend a good splitter for a good price.I got my Third splitter from him and its great :thumbsup:

Thanx a lot for helping out with all the issues in all the threads we are chatting in......!!!
:thumbsup:

justdial comes in handy.....

Maxcom Electronics

Maxcom Electronics

Mr Ashik Mehta/Mr Vishal Shah/Mr Jayesh Mehta

+(91)-(22)-23882728,23873251

+(91)-9892798009

+(91)-(22)-23887174

[email protected]

Shop No 4,new Hanuman Building, Off Lamington Road, 16 Shamrao Vithal Marg, Grant Road, Mumbai - 400007
^^^you talking about this one ?

Back