Low Speed on USB Tethering

• Thread starter Thread starter Razor54672
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 4,128
ISP
BSNL
I am getting anywhere from 35-60 mbps DL speed on my phone with True 5G.
But when connected to my PC via USB Tethering, it hovers in the range of 2-3 mbps for some reason.
It worked fine for 2 days or so but then this issue cropped out of nowhere and has been present ever since.

I have already tried fiddling with USB Debugging on phone in developer options and checked Ethernet settings in Network options on PC but nothing seems off.

What might be the reason for this?

What about WiFi tethering? Are you getting full speeds on that?

same here I get 600 Mbps down when on a Wi-Fi hotspot ( 1.2gbps) on my phone but when connected via USB C tethering it gives #.5mbps only, I thought it was a problem with my Linux system but it seems Jio has throttled the speed deliberately.

@akshay71 same problem. use netsh int ipv4 set global defaultcurhoplimit=64
but not solve. how to solve this problem. Android, RPI.. linux get full speed.. same on both windows pc. also try windows 10. but same problem.. when install ubuntu then working fine. having problem with none linux os..
How to solve this?

Enabled hardware acceleration for usb tethering in developer options ?

@ishanjain28 i use ZTE 5G CPE..
ZTE 5G CPE -> Asus GT-AX11000 (Merlin)
Windows and RPI connected with asus router with lan. RPI and Android mobile get full speed.
but two windows pc get limited speed ~400kbps.

• i install Ubuntu on window then get full speed.
  • i also fresh install windows 10 and 11 but same problem.
  • if copy file from RPI smb network drive then get 120MB/s speed.
  • if i enable hotspot on window and connect that hotspot on mobile then get full speed.
  • if use Airtel sim with 5G cpe then get full 400mbps speed. only problem with jio and windows only.

how to solve this problem?
🙏 Please help me with your knowledge..

2 solutions (One tested and one untested)
1. Connect your mobile internet(Airtel and Idea both throttling via USB for me) via wifi to a laptop and then connect that laptop via LAN cable to your PC. Full speeds.

2. Get a wifi dongle and connect your pc to Phone via wifi. I have not tested this method but might work in theory.

It seems either Windows or ISP's are throttling when connected phone directly via USB.

Jio has implemented some sort of measure to stop people from using a lot of 5G data via USB tethering.

My broadband was down for a day and i tried using usb tethering all day, it used to work for 10-15mins and then stop all downstream packets.

I used wireguard and openvpn protocols thinking maybe encrypting packets will solve but no use, meanwhile 5G on my phone was working all fine all the time.

If i put my phone on flight mode and off again it started working on laptop for next 10-15mins

Another measure i tried was turning off ipv6, no use.

flushdns, release/renew, setting dns to google/cloudflare nothing helped in this situation

Back