• Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2,267

~Hami~

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Maharashtra mulls surcharge for DTH
Feb 18th 2008

The Maharashtra government is considering levying a surcharge on entertainment tax paid by operators of direct-to-home (DTH) services such as Tata Sky Ltd and Dish TV India Ltd, the state’s chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said, because there is “no method to accurately measure how many TV sets are being served” by these companies.
An announcement on this will be made soon, he added.The government’s decision comes after a 9 February meeting between Deshmukh and the Cable Operators and Distributors Association, an industry body, during which the latter complained that DTH operators are inadequately taxed and a surcharge should be levied on them.
DTH companies do not agree that there is no way to measure how many customers they serve.
“I’m surprised, DTH is already reeling under a plethora of taxes that together amount to 56% and we even suffer double taxation in some instances. DTH is a fully transparent and addressable system while it is well known that there is 80-90% underdeclaration in cable,” said Vikram Kaushik, CEO, Tata Sky.
“If anyone is misleading the government, we’ll take adequate steps to correct the misinformation,” he added.Interestingly, the conditional access service (CAS) regime that several Indian cities have moved to was prompted by conflicts between broadcasters and cable operators with the former alleging that the latter were under-reporting the number of customers they were serving.
Much like DTH, CAS operates through set-top boxes that receive encrypted signals. In DTH, these signals are received by consumer households through a small satellite dish, while in CAS, they are received through cables.
The move comes even as DTH operators have been making representations to several Union government authorities and state governments requesting a rationalization of the tax they pay in the coming Union Budget. DTH companies claim they pay a cumulative tax of 56%.
In Maharashtra, both cable and DTH operators pay an entertainment tax of Rs45 per subscriber per month.India had 112 million television households in March 2007, out of which 68 million receive cable and satellite channels and two million are served by DTH companies, according to a study by audit and consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers and industry lobby Ficci.
Dish TV claims a subscriber base of 2.7 million and Tata Sky claims it serves 1.5 million subscribers.
Industry estimates put the number of cable and satellite houses in Mumbai at 2.5 million of which 5% are served by DTH companies.
“I have no comments to make on what the state government has said, we’ll talk to our parent ministry, the information and broadcasting ministry,” said Jawahar Goel, managing director, Dish TV India.

Maharashtra mulls surcharge for DTH - livemint

Didnt expect this from Vilasrao Deshmukh,

no method to accurately measure how many TV sets are being served

money paid to DTH operator is PURE WHITE money as its paid by credit card, cheque and with full online/on TV record.

DTH operator can not hide even a single customer. there wud be bank record/credit card record for each and every customer. plus bill too.

this is just clear case of Vilasrao Desmukh trying to take cable operators side even when full india knows how much they under declare

On one hand you give free electricity to rich farmers consuming gigawatts of power and plunder ground water. And on the other hand you charge entertainment tax on television viewing. Common sense is very uncommon indeed.

i welcome this kinda sur charge on dth service is premium service in country and that to in a rich state they have to pay more and i feel this will hurts mainly Tata Sky only because ts rates already touched sky and also this will help poor cablewalla and in andhra pradesh we dont have to pay

Entertainment tax for TV viewing is not justified at all. This burden will be passed on to the customers for sure.

Well who says Cable walla are poor ?They are most corrupt and local GUNDAs .. They never tell Govt. how many subscribers they have. Infact if you look into their pricing then you can find that they price differently for different localities, if its Rich Locality then Prices are more ... and if its SLUMs then Prices are dirt cheap for same service.I did a small survey b4 I bought Dish TV, I found that if I take all channels with Hindi Package then I had to shell out monthly Rs.300 ~ Rs.350. Where as the Cable was having cost starting Rs.450 per month. The Cable operator does show some extra channels (local channels) they are gud for listening music and watching movies (Pirated). Many Cable operators show Adult Movies.. using this local channel.

Back