Mesh wifi 6 backhaul better than wifi 5?

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 2,175

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Jio AirFiber 100 mbps. Prior Microscan 500 mbps, PDPL 300 mbps and BSNL 300 mbps.
Lets say there are two mesh wifi systems, one with dedicated wifi 5 ac 5ghz 1700 mbps rated backhaul and another also with dedicated backhaul of same rated link speed but using wifi 6 ax 5ghz.

The first one's real world backhaul link speed maxes out at 400 mbps with certain placement of distance and walls in between the main router and satellite.

Will the second one backhaul link speed also max out at around 400 mbps with the same layout or will there be any significant difference thanks to it being wifi 6 even though both are using 5ghz?

I have Asus Zenwifi AX XT8s in AiMesh setup that uses wifi 6 5GHz as wireless backhaul. It gives me close to 1Gbps if placement is good.

wifi 6 ax 5ghz backhaul is way better than that of wifi 5 ac 5ghz.

I have TP-Link ax10 and if 3-4 wifi 6 devices are connected then link speed of each device drops drastically.

only 1 device connected : 1200mbps link
2 devices - 800mbps
4 devices 400-500mbps link

Don’t go for any budget ax routers . They are trash. Good ones cost fortune like 30k rs

wifi 6 ax 5ghz backhaul is way better than that of wifi 5 ac 5ghz.

Can you elaborate on this part? Did you observe this yourself or read it somewhere?

I just wanted to try and confirm before buying a wifi 6 mesh to replace my current wifi 5 setup.

I have TP-Link ax10 and if 3-4 wifi 6 devices are connected then link speed of each device drops drastically.

only 1 device connected : 1200mbps link
2 devices - 800mbps
4 devices 400-500mbps link

Don’t go for any budget ax routers . They are trash. Good ones cost fortune like 30k rs

Yes this is a symptom mostly solved by costly mesh devices with dedicated wireless backhaul.

Can you elaborate on this part? Did you observe this yourself or read it somewhere?

I just wanted to try and confirm before buying a wifi 6 mesh to replace my current wifi 5 setup.
This is based on my observation.

As @tatyasky mentioned, Ethernet backhaul is the way to go. But keep in mind 1G limit in link speed (at least for the router I have chosen). Though wireless backhaul did not give me any major problems, I have switched to Ethernet backhaul for more stability and reliability while freeing up the backhaul bandwidth for end clients.

i agree AX is still evolving and why to go for AX with WiFi 6 instead wait little longer and go for WiFi 6E i think that upgrade will be worth

Back