Mesh wifi for new home

ISP
Airtel
Hey, I’m moving to a new home where I would need a mesh network. For sure, I won’t be able to connect those mesh routers with Ethernet, so I’m looking for only wireless solutions.
My home size is around 3000sq ft.
Using Airtel fiber and I am on a 200 mbps plan.

I have looked at two options-
1. Airtel coverage plus. Not sure how the reviews are. Rent- 99/- per pod.
2. 2x TP-Link X60 AX5400 Amazon.in

What should I go with?

I'd not recommend you going with the Airtel coverage plus. They supply the sercomm ONT along with the sercomm mesh extenders. The ONT itself is sub par in terms of performance w.r.t multiple client handling, simultaneous bandwidth distribution etc. Trust me, it is just good as a dumb ONU if you are willing to put it in a bridge mode(doesn't require any assistance from airtel) and use some other router. I am pretty sure the mesh extenders would also be similar in terms of performance.
TP-Link X60 mesh system cannot be compared to Airtel's mesh system because it's a WiFi 6 unit while the latter is on WiFi-5. X60 is a fairly expensive setup if you are going for two units. It's great in terms of performance though.
If you are okay with spending this kind of money then i would highly recommend you going for Asus Routers. Put your Airtel's ONT in bridge mode and buy Asus routers which support Asus Mesh Network(almost all of them support it). Put one of the router as the primary one and the other as a wireless AP in mesh mode.
Asus has some very great routers and mesh systems in AX5400 range. You can check them out on Amazon or flipkart.

I prefer TP-Link only due to excellent VFM (price to specs/perf ratio)... I bought xe75 mesh and x60 myself... using wired backhaul.

I think X60 is very good VFM especially since it has wifi6 and is compact, only drawback is it doesn't have dedicated wireless backhaul channel but if you get say 3 units should work well for you.

btw (with wired backhaul) I get close to full 1gbit transfer speeds over wifi even on the X60, so pretty good for home network (like NAS etc) and also if you have high speed internet.

Need some help. Currently using mercusys Halo12 mesh two devices. Biggest issue is ethernet port is 100mbps. I easily get 90mbps on the second node which is pretty far away with two walls in between.
The Main Node needs to be connected to the main router with ethernet which I don't like.
Is it possible to get something that is totally wireless, I want to avoid connecting one node to main router via ethernet and devices needs to have gigabit ports.

I don't think you could have the main unit in repeater mode. You could dial PPPoE in your main unit and put your ISP modem in bridge mode for having more control and connecting satellite units. If your ISP device supports Easymesh then there is a possibility to do it wirelessly but only with another device with easymesh support. Main mesh units needs to be wired.

Last edited:

Back