Mesh WiFi vs Access Points

• Thread starter Thread starter Starman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 1,550
ISP
Airtel Fiber
I was wondering if mesh wifi (without wired backhaul) is better than APs with a wired backhaul? Because I have heard that Mesh WiFi typically compromises on speed while Wireless Access Points do not. Asking because I have both the options available- i.e. Wiring my house with ethernet or shelling out not more than 5k on a mesh network.

@Starman its always better to have wired Ethernet backhaul whether you are using multiple APs or Mesh configuration. Mesh Configuration has added benefit of seamless roaming which basically means when you move over in your house you device will automatically connect to nearest mesh node.

Ubiquti Unifi AP AC Lite was the one I was using earlier. I haven't used APs with seamless roaming cuz I only had one AP.

"Fast Roaming is an option but your clients will already roam between UAPs broadcasting the same SSID."

I'm currently on EAP245 and that too will roam perfectly fine with controller.

I have tried this approach with couple of old routers lying around. But it seems to be hit or miss. Some clients ( in my case an iPhone) tend to stick to the farther endpoint for some reason.

You might get a different result. However I would suggest to go with MeshWiFi with wired backhaul anyday.

What I did was I bought an Asus Router compatible with Mesh wifi support in 2019 and since then I have added one more node last year. I am planning to add one more node this year. Asus firmware is years ahead of those given by TP-Link. You can mix and match models as well.

Back