• Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,200

~Hami~

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
MIB may allow Dish TV, Tata Sky to stay on MPEG 2
10 June 2008

NEW DELHI: Existing direct-to-home (DTH) players Tata Sky and Dish TV are likely to be allowed to stay on MPEG 2, even after the new entrants come on MPEG 4. The ministry of Information & Broadcasting is slated to have an internal meeting on 12 June to finalise this, sources told indiantelevision.com.

What is being worked out is that older players will stay on the MPEG 2 format. If new players like Reliance's Big TV want interoperability with the latter, they will chip in about Rs 450 ($8 or 9) per old set-top box (STB) to fit the MPEG 2 boxes with an equipment called the transconder.:P

The older players have said that MPEG 4 does not improve reception quality, but only increases the number of channels that can be compressed per transponder.

"We have successfully demonstrated that all the arguments so far - be it in Trai, Tdsat or other forums - in favour of MPEG 4 has been the question of transponder space crunch versus the need to give more channels per transponder, and no one has argued about quality," a Dish TV official told indiantelevision.com.

The two initial players claim to have proven that MPEG 4 and the earlier version renders the same effect audio-visually. Hence there is no need to change over to the new compression format.

A paper submitted in this connection by Dish TV points out that BIS (Bureau of Indian Standards) and Trai (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) have not approved MPEG 4 and the boxes are not as per "Indian Standard for DTH STB," as has been specified in the license agreement of DTH.

"Currently, MPEG 4 box violates the existing licensing and BIS norms. The new players coming with MPEG 4 technology are not compliant with the existing BIS norms for STBs and hence are not interoperable with MPEG 2 boxes," says the paper.

It adds that the new players who adopt MPEG 4 will have to come out with a device which can make their services compatible to millions of boxes already deployed with consumers, especially since Trai insists on interoperability between the formats and on allowing subscribers to change service providers.

The older players have also argued that financially it will be ruinous to switch over to MPEG 4.

"Going by today's pricing norms, MPEG 4 boxes are 50 per cent more expensive than MPEG 2 boxes and in dollar terms the difference is about $20. So if an operator puts 1 million boxes in a year, he spends $20 million more whereas for a 10 transponders set up, he will save only $3 million. This makes its subscriber acquisition cost expensive and thus will hurt the bottom-line even more," they have told the ministry.

"The issue is practically decided and the government is convinced we are right. The 12 June meeting will finalise this," a confident Dish TV official told indiantelevision.com.

Officials at MIB did not wish to comment either way but agreed that the older players have had many discussions on this with them.

Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge > MIB may allow Dish TV, Tata Sky to stay on MPEG 2

When they(Dishtv/TS) talk about interoperability between MPEG4/MPEG2, were not they asked to demonstrate the interoperability between themselves (Dishtv/TS) .. by MIB/TDSAT/TRAI ???

Nothing you need to pay for STBS, as they provide a seperate preactivated Viewing Card so that can be compatible with all STB having MPEG4 Tech. Upcoming PVRs and DVRs with MPEG4 circuits will be compatible with BIG TV. Pairing of STB and VC is not required as it is mandatory by DISH TV & Tata Sky:thumbsup:

sky glazer...i am a Tata Sky user vishing to take bigtv..wat all these transcoder thing mean to me?i just hav to buy a transcoder and connect it to my tata sky stb??or shud i buy both transcoder and viewing card? please explain...

Nothing you need to pay for STBS, as they provide a seperate preactivated Viewing Card so that can be compatible with all STB having MPEG4 Tech.
Upcoming PVRs and DVRs with MPEG4 circuits will be compatible with BIG TV. Pairing of STB and VC is not required as it is mandatory by DISH TV & Tata Sky:thumbsup:
Still confused about your statement
1. Is BIG TV ready to provide only cards?
2. What about STB's then?
3. Is BIG TV planning to provide any transcoder for MPEG-2 STB? Does such transcoder exists?

Dear SVK,
I never said that this transcoder exists !!
I would say that BIG TV will never ever sell this transcoder kind of a thing to the people.. rather it will be done at the lower level like the local technicians.
Remember Video Card installation in Audio CD Players when VCD players cost a fortune and many of us do not want to part with our ACD players...

I will believe it when it is in my hand, up and running in front of me..

This Link might help to clear out the MPEG4 technology
DVB-S2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The New name given to MPEG4 is DVB-S2.
DIGITAL VIDEO BROADCAST 2nd Generation

Are you aware that DISH TV VC are available on retail for 1 year in countries like Pakistan and Gulf, I believe you must be aware of cloning a card.. I remember a person in another forum who can clone cards which can be used with other PVRs or DVRs, Dreambox etc

P.S. : I'm sorry if you feel offended.

Dear SVK,
I never said that this transcoder exists !!
I will believe it when it is in my hand, up and running in front of me..

Me too. never heard about it so inquired.
This Link might help to clear out the MPEG4 technology
DVB-S2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The New name given to MPEG4 is DVB-S2.
DIGITAL VIDEO BROADCAST 2nd Generation

Thanks for link.
Are you aware that DISH TV VC are available on retail for 1 year in countries like Pakistan and Gulf, I believe you must be aware of cloning a card.. I remember a person in another forum who can clone cards which can be used with other PVRs or DVRs, Dreambox etc

I know about it and also used it in abroad for testing purpose :)
P.S. : I'm sorry if you feel offended.
Not at all! Thanks for the information :thumbsup:

Back