• Thread starter Thread starter Outlander
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,336

Outlander

Regular
ISP
BSNL
Hi,My modem (Huawei MT882) has had it, I think. Every time I start it, for the first four or five minutes, it works erratically: the connection keeps breaking a lot. Then it sort of warms up, and then the connection is stable, and after this the modem works perfectly alright, like it used to. All this happened after power fluctuations, I think.Anyway, I'd like to buy a new modem, and I have a few questions:[1] What's a modem, and what's a router, and what's the difference between the two? [2] Is wired better, or wireless? Will a wireless one work all the time, in all seasons (because the telephone line often goes down during monsoon).[3] What are all these features, like NAT, and DMZ, and stuff? If the question is too long to answer, just give me some links from where I can find the information.Thanks.

members/hydraheaded/
1.Check the AC Adaptor 230V input OUTPUT 9V 1AMP Does this step down transformer getting hot ?
2. Did you buy or rent the modem from BSNL ? If rented get 50% discount for purchase of a new modem from the rentals paid so far. Take the first bill and last bill ( to calculate the amount ). It is unlikely BSNL has the same modem and may give you the latest. ( source : BSNL FAQ I think Question 45 )
3. Type in Google Search the key words . and select WIKIpedia sites for explanations.
4. OR type in Search in this page top for old threads.
5. If you are using only one computer, most of the info not needed.
6. If you want to download from torrent sites your Query No 3 is correct.
7. Query No 2 . WIFI also needs a BB connection through Landline. for use of laptop etc. in your house.
8. Or you must use Datacards ( normally used in USB port ) and dump the adsl Modems.
Whether EV-DO available in your place please check.
REF:SmartAX MT-882 ADSL MODEM MENU

Para two : Open modem page and see Summary. report SNR attn line rate etc

if its bsnl....buy it from bsnl....cos if there is a network problem then they can sort it out....or else they wont bother...puting it on ur modem....

Back