Modem, Router and AP - Setup Help

• Thread starter Thread starter skoka123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 23,701

skoka123

ISP
BSNL
I currently have the setup as shown in the attached image at my home.

My main aim is to make my wireless router in the first floor into an Acess Point and use it to extend the range of my wireless router in the ground floor. I am able to connect to the internet through my laptop but the browsing is painfully slow. Currently both the routers have different SSIDs. Should they both be the same?

When I connect my laptop through a lan cable to the access point (which I guess is now a wireless switch) I can access the admin page of both the AP (192.168.1.50) and the wireless router (192.168.1.10) but not the ADSL modem (192.168.1.1). If I connect wirelessly then I can only connect to the Wireless Router (192.168.1.10) even though I have connect to the wireless AP.

My questions are:
1) Should I have the same SSID for both the router and the AP?
2) Is the IP set up correct?
3) How can I access the admin pages of all the three routers (ADSL, Wireless Router, and the AP).
4) Please suggest an optimal setup for the given configuration.

Note: I cannot change the physical location of the ASDL modem.

You can download the Visio File of the setup here.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

/members/skoka123/ Problem :browsing slow in LAN set up. Access control to all modem/ wi-fi router/WAP. Welcome to Broadbandforum.in.Please give model numbers of modems/routers wap and switches.Assume others in the LAN do not have access to the settings.Please wait for other suggestions.

@skoka123what i would do is enable DHCP in the bsnl modem.. and disable DHCP in the other routers..(Linksys and SMC).. let the bsnl modem act as the main gateway and the linksys and smc act as AP's..so it would be the bsnl modem that is giving the ip's to all pcs on your network..this would be more systematic..and will ensure that every pc and every device can access each other..including the bsnl modem..you can have the same ssid name , as far as i know windows would normally connect to the network with higher signal strength..regarding the ip setup.. the key point to this is making sure that the ips of the other networking devices do not cause a conflict..If you enable DHCP in the bsnl modem and set its range say from 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.20 ( i dont think you will need more than 20) .. make sure that the ip's of linksys and SMC is not between 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.20 .. you could make set it to any other ip like linksys-192.168.1.50 and SMC- 192.168.1.100 (easy to remember)..This will ensure that you can access all router's pages

@skoka123
what i would do is enable DHCP in the bsnl modem.. and disable DHCP in the other routers..(Linksys and SMC).. let the bsnl modem act as the main gateway and the linksys and smc act as AP's..so it would be the bsnl modem that is giving the ip's to all pcs on your network..this would be more systematic..and will ensure that every pc and every device can access each other..including the bsnl modem..you can have the same ssid name , as far as i know windows would normally connect to the network with higher signal strength..

regarding the ip setup.. the key point to this is making sure that the ips of the other networking devices do not cause a conflict..If you enable DHCP in the bsnl modem and set its range say from 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.20 ( i dont think you will need more than 20) .. make sure that the ip's of linksys and SMC is not between 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.20 .. you could make set it to any other ip like linksys-192.168.1.50 and SMC- 192.168.1.100 (easy to remember)..This will ensure that you can access all router's pages

Thanks Prashanth. I will try setting up the BSNL Modem (DSL-502T) to enable DHCP and post the result.

Back