Modem Router that works both on BSNL & ACT Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Rajasimha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 56,034
ISP
BSNL
HI,
I'm currently using BSNL BB with BSNL modem, since couple of months connection is getting worse day by day.
I'm planning to move to ACT BB in couple of months, prior to that I would like to change the modem which works both on BSNL and ACT BB.
Let me know whether "TP-Link TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router" works on both? or suggest me any other.
Thank you.

No, ADSL+Wireless routers don't work for fiber based connections. Since ACT is fiber based, it's not going to work for you.
Just buy a wireless router (that is also not a modem) and hook it up to the cable if you're going to be signing up for ACT.
I'm using D-Link DIR 615 (http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dir-615/4505-3319_7-32435592.html) for a while now and I have no complaints.

Thanks for the advice.
Following is one of the feature of this product mentioned in their site:
Interchangeable LAN/WAN Port - Versatile ConnectivityThe TD-W8968 supports ADSL or Ethernet WAN connections (EWAN) that allow users to have the flexibility of different Internet connections among ADSL, cable or fiber modem using its interchangeable LAN/WAN port. This unique feature makes it easier when users need to change to fiber or cable services when necessary.
http://www.tp-link.in/products/details/?categoryid=219&model=TD-W8968

Great, so there you go, you found a router that supports ADSL and Fiber! They call it the EWAN.
Thanks for sharing, so now we know there are routers like that.

Rajasimha said:
Thanks for the advice.
Interchangeable LAN/WAN Port - Versatile ConnectivityThe TD-W8968 supports ADSL or Ethernet WAN connections (EWAN) that allow users to have the flexibility of different Internet connections among ADSL, cable or fiber modem using its interchangeable LAN/WAN port. This unique feature makes it easier when users need to change to fiber or cable services when necessary.
Nice find!

Rajasimha said:
Thanks for the advice.
hey dont buy TD-W8968...its not a rj 45 input...i had buyed TP-Link wifi modem + adsl2 router...the act broadband ppl said it wont work..so i had to sell it...just buy a router...dont go fr modem router

Dont move to ACT BB.. they r horrible. before subscribing to ACT BB.. talk to the people in your area who is currently using it..and ya BSNL routing is gettin worse day by day.. they routing traffic from USA servers... so its terrible too.. same goes with TATA...
Just make sure to talk to people who r using ACT in ur locality.. dont get untill then.. ull be fooled
Atleast BSNL and TATA doesnt have downtime like ACT does.. everyday 2 hours atleast.

hey dont buy TD-W8968...its not a rj 45 input...i had buyed TP-Link wifi modem + adsl2 router...the act broadband ppl said it wont work..so i had to sell it...just buy a router...dont go fr modem router

I might be a little late on this thread...i have this modem router (TP Link TD-W8968) and was looking to move to ACT from BSNL. I did not want to buy a new WIFI router, cause i had just purchased this modem a couple of months back. Rajasimha's post made me pursue that EWAN option before i dispose it. So despite ACT guys vehemently denying it wouldn't work, i tested my modem on my cousin's ACT connection and IT WORKED!! :D

All you need to do is, get into the Modem's Settings Page (192.168.1.1) and choose "Operation Mode" from the left menu panel. Under this you'll have three options 1. ADSL mode, 2. 3G router mode and 3. "Wifi Router mode"...choose the 3rd option.

After this goto the Network => WAN settings menu. Here create a PPPoE connection, enter the ACT provided Username and Password, leave everything else on Auto mode and save these settings. Now connect ACT's Ethernet Cable in the LAN4/WAN slot and VOILA!! you'll have ACT Broadband working through your ADSL2+ modem.

It works for this particular modem i've personally tested it. Initially just give it about 5 minutes for the link to establish, but it works.

I might be a little late on this thread...i have this modem router (TP-Link TD-W8968) and was looking to move to ACT from BSNL. I did not want to buy a new WIFI router, cause i had just purchased this modem a couple of months back. Rajasimha's post made me pursue that EWAN option before i dispose it. So despite ACT guys vehemently denying it wouldn't work, i tested my modem on my cousin's ACT connection and IT WORKED!! :D

All you need to do is, get into the Modem's Settings Page (192.168.1.1) and choose "Operation Mode" from the left menu panel. Under this you'll have three options 1. ADSL mode, 2. 3G router mode and 3. "Wifi Router mode"...choose the 3rd option.

After this goto the Network => WAN settings menu. Here create a PPPoE connection, enter the ACT provided Username and Password, leave everything else on Auto mode and save these settings. Now connect ACT's Ethernet Cable in the LAN4/WAN slot and VOILA!! you'll have ACT Broadband working through your ADSL2+ modem.

It works for this particular modem i've personally tested it. Initially just give it about 5 minutes for the link to establish, but it works.
I might be a little late on this thread...i have this modem router (TP Link TD-W8968) and was looking to move to ACT from BSNL. I did not want to buy a new WIFI router, cause i had just purchased this modem a couple of months back. Rajasimha's post made me pursue that EWAN option before i dispose it. So despite ACT guys vehemently denying it wouldn't work, i tested my modem on my cousin's ACT connection and IT WORKED!! :D

Thank you Ankit, this is fantastic!

Back