MTNL 3G Jadoo: 3g vs hsdpa

MurkMenthaa

ISP
Airtel
Hi.
I tried mtnl 3g in a Sony ericsson (model no. I don't recall) a month and it was showing an 'H' icon in the network area which is presumably short for hsdpa. I tested speed on different sites and downloaded many large and small files; speed was constant 40-45 kBps. I bought a 6630 last week but speed I'm getting is just 15-20 kBps.
So I searched around a bit and found that mtnl offers more speeds in hsdpa models (duh!). But here's the kicker, on their site they've mentioned that phones listed only with a * will have hsdpa speeds and I'm sure some of the phones which do have hsdpa (like n95 and n82) do not have a * . Has it got something to do with their wcdma frequencies ? Like the difference between n95 and n95 8gb (both having hsdpa) is that the former has 2100Mhz and latter 850/2100Mhz.

If anyone have a model that supports only 2100Mhz please post your speed. Better yet, if you own any two phones, one being from the MTNL phone list having a * and the other not, please do a comparison in speeds and post.

hi,check out ur phone model. is it g502? then it is hspda which gives 2mbps. though this speed will not come usually but sometime vey high speed should click.i have samsung 3 g phone which has 384kbps limit. and when downloading i am getting this much speed not more than 384kbps or 40-45kBps. but surely 384kbps.

I don't have that ericsson phone anymore. What is your phone's model no. if I my ask, because 6630 has 384kbps limit as well and I'm not even getting 200.

Hi.
I tried mtnl 3g in a Sony ericsson (model no. I don't recall) a month and it was showing an 'H' icon in the network area which is presumably short for hsdpa. I tested speed on different sites and downloaded many large and small files; speed was constant 40-45 kBps. I bought a 6630 last week but speed I'm getting is just 15-20 kBps.
So I searched around a bit and found that mtnl offers more speeds in hsdpa models (duh!). But here's the kicker, on their site they've mentioned that phones listed only with a * will have hsdpa speeds and I'm sure some of the phones which do have hsdpa (like n95 and n82) do not have a * . Has it got something to do with their wcdma frequencies ? Like the difference between n95 and n95 8gb (both having hsdpa) is that the former has 2100Mhz and latter 850/2100Mhz.

If anyone have a model that supports only 2100Mhz please post your speed. Better yet, if you own any two phones, one being from the MTNL phone list having a * and the other not, please do a comparison in speeds and post.
I once used my brother's Sony ericsson HSDPA enabled phone supporting
900 and 2100 Mhz and I got speeds of 200 KB/sec (approx. 1.6 mbps).
This speed comes only when the 'H' icon appears.Funny thing is I do not see any 'H' icon in my micromax MMX300G datacard and yet get the same speed.Very confusing.
BTW, I am using BSNL's 3G and at the moment it seems like there is no differentiation between GPRS,3G or HSDPA for BSNL.

I did a little bit more research on the topic and found out some interesting facts.
Micromax MMX300G only supports 2100Mhz in UMTS. Every phone that I've come across that does have 3g supports atleast 2100Mhz. I think my question doesn't even make sense now that I've read more about what HSDPA really is. It's just a better protocol implemented on the same frequencies as 3g if the phone supports it. So I guess I'd be answering my own question by saying that if a phone has HSDPA and is capable of running on MTNL 3g network, it should also support HSDPA speeds offered by MTNL.
Thanks for all the replies and please do correct me if I've come to any incorrect conclusions.

so, should i buy any HSDPA phone to get atleast 2mpbs speed. m getting 384kbps with my samsung 3g phone.recently, Nokia launced some 5230 phone which has HSDPA.is mtnl giving around 2mbps in delhi?also, guys tell which coupon denomination r u using for prepaid 3g?as i m unable to get 1500/- coupon for 15gb.

Back