• Thread starter Thread starter emptymt
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 4,350

emptymt

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hello all,I am currently subscribed to the 599 unlimited plan. I am using the D-Link DSL 322t modem.I am facing a weird problem. General browsing and surfing goes well even for hours. But if I leave my machine on for a long period, the machine loses net connectivity. However the modem lights indicates all is well with the ADSL light on all the time. Checking the modem status at 192.168.1.1 it shows that the modem is connected and everything is in order. But my machine keeps losing connectivity without fail over a period of time. My IP and DNS settings are set to obtain automatically. Further investigation revealed that even though my DHPC was enabled the IP acquired as shown in windows was 59.185.xxx.xxx rather than the 192.168.1.x as should be provided by the modems DHCP. Couldn't fix that part at all. And I have noticed in the modems status page at 192.168.1.1 that the IP assigned to me keep changing frequently. And this doesn't get updated into windows. So if I was assigned 59.185.xxx.xxx at boot and it subsequently changed to 59.185.yyy.yyy from mtnl, it doesn't get updated in windows. I can see the change and 2 diff sets of IP's in windows and the modems status page. To work around this I disabled the modems DHCP and manually configured the machine at 192.168.1.5 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1. While initially it refused to provide any net connectivity after a few modem restarts and pc reboots I was online. But within an hour i noticed by downloads had stopped and had lost all net connectivity. But the modems status page showed connected and the ADSL light was brightly on. Any suggestions. Am going nuts trying to figure this out. And as such my downloads are taking forever. Would appreciate all the help I can get.thankscheers!

ok, so my problem is quite unique and doesn't seem anyone else has faced anything similar or can identify whats wrong.However I would appreciate it if I can get an idea as to what the default settings on the MTNL modem provided by them are. I have my own D-Link DSL 322T and may be there is some difference in settings.Specifically if users can share info about:1) In windows Lan settings a) are IP settings configured manually or set to acquire automatically b)if set to acquire automatically what does the details tab under active connection show IP as . . 59.185.xxx.xxx or 192.168.xxx.xxx2) If you'll can check you modems status at 192.168.1.1 in your browser, and check if over a period of time is ur IP static. That is over a period of a day or 2 do you'll still have the same IP. Or the IP is dynamic and keeps on getting renewed from MTNL's end.3) Finally in the home tab with DHCP tab on the left, if the DHCP enabled or disabled.Appreciate any help I can get.Thanks.

i hav dna - a212 routerwell in windows lan settings i hav checked on obtain ip n dns servers automatically..in modem i hav enabled dhcp starting from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254..n i always get new wan ip whenever connection is reestablished

I suggest that you let IP be obtained automatically with DHCP enabled & for DNS enter it manually, this forums wiki gives you a whole range of DNS servers that can be used
MTNL DNS
Mumbai
Delhi
you can use any or all of them
or even use
Open DNS

After this if you face frequent disconnection, even though all lights on modem are on them then send email to GM & DGM (Broadband) MTNL Mumbai email-id's can be found in the wiki. For setting up modem see Socrates the make/model is different but the fundas are the same.
Hope this helps

ADMIN: There is something wrong with the time, I posted this at 2040 hrs on 6-5-2010 but what time is being displayed??

The D-Link 3x2 (302, 312, 322 etc) series is little more than a media-convertor. The IP address you are getting (59.185.xxx.xxx) is your public IP address and I think is correct for MTNL, so be sure to leave your computer's LAN configuration set as DHCP.Maybe there is a line noise problem or something else to that effect. Maybe the lease on your IP address is expiring too quickly or something. It could be something as stupid as Windows updates are going on in the background and saturating the 128-256kbit/s of available bandwidth. It's a little difficult to diagnose with the information provided. Can you get us some information from the status/info page at 192.168.1.1?

well after various permutations and combination of settings, I seem to have narrowed down the problem to my modems local DHCP. It basically doesn't seem to work.With the DHCP enabled it is not assigning my pc a pvt. address and gives it my public ip. Whenever my public IP is renewed from MTNL it doesn't get updated into my lan/windows settings. Hence I lose connectivity. I have checked my IP when I am online at the status page. When I lose connectivity I check the status page at 192.168.1.1 and it has changed. But ipconfig from cmd prompt still shows the old IP. Disabling DHCP and manually assigning a pvt IP in windows doesn't work at all.Regd more info from my status page: Anything particular i need to check? Have checked the upstream/downstream signal levels that most discuss and are withing the prescribed range of 39-42. At all times the status page show "connected" with an assigned public IP.

Back