MTNL Mumbai MTNL Throttling speed or just overload of infrastructure

• Thread starter Thread starter Satyajeet
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 187
  • Views Views 28,667
ISP
MTNL mumbai
Hi Guys,

I moved to a 8mpbs ( 50 GB FUP) connection about 2 months ago ( MTNL Mumbai) . Almost everyday from about 10am to 6 PM i barely get 1 to 1.5mbps. Some days its as bad as 0.5mbps which is really frustrating as its even worse than the 2mbps unlimited connection i was on.

Post 6pm till the morning i get 8mbps, and even more than 8 when i use utorrent

I've spent hours getting this resolved. They supposedly changed the "cable" and the copper wire that comes from the junction box till my apartment. The person at the exchange who supposedly "manages" the broadband has been dilly dallying for almost a month and yesterday after i blew my top he says "Sir we have tried everything, but are not able to find the fault, what can i do? at our end it shows you are getting 8mpbs"

One person at the mtnl helpdesk had told me that changing the ports should solve it. But this person who im talking to says that wont solve it.

Anybody have any idea or has faced a similar situation and found a solution/resolution?

Would writing to the GM broadband help? if they forward the request to these same set of incompetents, it wont do much good.

The only thing that i can infer from the situation is that they are sharing the connection or rather overloading it with too many subscribers and when everybody is using the bandwidth concurrently, i am not getting the 8mpbs i'm paying for.

Would appreciate some help

Thanks!

Congestion with mtnl is a bit unlikely. What are your line stats?

Congestion with mtnl is a bit unlikely. What are your line stats?
Thanks for your reply...

I don't think its a line issue as the speed drop is only during the day.

Had it been a line issue the slow speed problem would persist 24 hours wont it?

And another strange thing is that during the period where i say speed drops, its only downstream. I am able to upload at close to 2mbps, 24 hours

Anyway line stats as follows

Line Rate :
Downstream Line Rate (Kbps): 8191
Upstream Line Rate (Kbps): 2047

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (0.1dB): 189 131
Attenuation (0.1dB): 95 70
Output Power (dBm): -2.0 6.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 23940 2531
Rate (Kbps): 8191 2047

Any ideas?

Thanks

Right. Line is fine, just wanted to rule that out

Port issue then. Complain to pgportal.gov.in and explicitly ask for a port change.

Hi,

Which department from that list on the site should i raise the complaint with?

Also i was told about this port change solution by one guy at the helpdesk, but im not sure the guys who are "looking" into my issue did it.

Could you please explain what this port actually refers to. Is it a physical port on a hardware like a switch/hub? I'm not very conversant with ADSL2 tech, so if you could point me to a link to a site that has this info, it would be most helpful. And who does this change? the NOC staff, the linemen who take care of the cables etc or is is a software setting?

So at least ill know if the MTNL guys are trying to pull a fast one on me.

Thanks

Select Department of Telecommunications and then MTNL.

Port refers to DSLAM port, present in local exchange. Wikipedia has the basics: Digital subscriber line access multiplexer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They're usually reluctant to change port because of the lack of free ports.

I have no idea who does the change. Certainly not NOC staff or the lineman. In the case of bsnl, the jto looks after this. I dunno about MTNL.

Select Department of Telecommunications and then MTNL.

Port refers to DSLAM port, present in local exchange. Wikipedia has the basics: Digital subscriber line access multiplexer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They're usually reluctant to change port because of the lack of free ports.

I have no idea who does the change. Certainly not NOC staff or the lineman. In the case of bsnl, the jto looks after this. I dunno about MTNL.

Thanks Bro.. ive also been reading up the real long thread on the 8mbps connection where people mentioned alcatel servers having problems which i believe was MTNL delhi coz they mentioned IP's starting with 120.xx.xx.xx

My ip is not static and is normally in this C class 59.183.0.xxx . Could you or any Mumbai users share their experiences with respect to specific servers.. like which work good and which are crappy... So that when i ask for a port change i can makes sure that it will make a difference

Thanks

120 is SOTL. 59 is Ericsson and Old Alcatel. 186 is new Alcatel. This is for Mumbai.

With new port you might get either SOTL or new Alcatel. Can't say.

Dunno which server is bad these days. Ericsson is fine as always.

I can confirm that OP is correct.

I have noticed same from few weeks now.

Speed is slow day time and night time after around 6-7PM speed becomes great as per plan (1mbps)

Based on time - it clearly seems that MTNL has oversubscribed!

If they had indeed oversubscribed, connection speeds should get bad after office hours when people would come back home and use the internet.

Back