MTNL Mumbai MTNL Throttling speed or just overload of infrastructure

• Thread starter Thread starter Satyajeet
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 187
  • Views Views 28,669
Over the past 3-4 weeks, I have been facing a persistent speed problem. It starts in the morning and persists till evening 6-7.
It is apparent while browsing, and unbearable while gaming. The pings are ridiculous.
(My plan is an old plan that has been taken down with varied speeds:
TIMING Download speed upload Speed
00-07:05 2Mbps 512Kbps
07:05-18:05 1Mbps 512Kbps
18:05-24 1Mbps 512Kbps)

While MTNL is not the most stable of ISP's, sustained speed loss is not a problem I have ever faced before, and after almost a month, I cannot tolerate this anymore. Can someone please tell me what to do in this situation?
I have already booked a complaint online earlier today, but I don't have a good impression of their customer care so far.
I live in Mahim, Mumbai.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance.

well u have to rely on mtnl customer service i guess..

nothing u can do much in that.

lately i too get speed of 52Kb/s in day time but in evening it;s 2 mbps .
tho youtube video buffers a little.

They do throttle speed .atleat mine

Found out that tata doesn't service my area. Wrote mails to several of the email ids that i found who supposedly are appellate authorities, but no reply from them

Visited the TRAI consumer complaint site Telecom Consumer Complaints Monitoring System and found out the email id of the appellate authority as well and I assume that this data should be accurate. Been 4 days since i mailed, no response .

Am at my wits end. These days till almost 8 pm im getting barely 800kbps... thats even worse than when i had a 2mpbs connection... at least then i used to get almost 2mbps 24x7

Saw another thread from a guy in Mahim facing the same issue.. so apparently this is across the board.

I
Yea definitely keeping an eye out for timeouts.... but so far none to report.....

Its been 10 days.... and already it has been better than Ericsson in speeds.... no timeouts.... and more than 10hr sessions....

But the real test will be once I get 8Mbps back nxt month....

Suggest you don't upgrade for the moment.. lest you get fucked over like me. I never had any issued when i was on the 2mpbs plan.. all this crap has started after i upgraded.. talk about retarded service.. pay less get promised speed, pay more and get less than 1/10th the promised speed....

Over the past 3-4 weeks, I have been facing a persistent speed problem. It starts in the morning and persists till evening 6-7.
It is apparent while browsing, and unbearable while gaming. The pings are ridiculous.
(My plan is an old plan that has been taken down with varied speeds:
TIMING Download speed upload Speed
00-07:05 2Mbps 512Kbps
07:05-18:05 1Mbps 512Kbps
18:05-24 1Mbps 512Kbps)

While MTNL is not the most stable of ISP's, sustained speed loss is not a problem I have ever faced before, and after almost a month, I cannot tolerate this anymore. Can someone please tell me what to do in this situation?
I have already booked a complaint online earlier today, but I don't have a good impression of their customer care so far.
I live in Mahim, Mumbai.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks in advance.

Whats your IP bro?. Im in shivaji park.. same issue..

See this

MTNL Mumbai - MTNL Throttling speed or just overload of infrastructure • MTNL Broadband

That's the point with tata. Emailing is of no use. You need to find the local salesman.

That's the point with tata. Emailing is of no use. You need to find the local salesman.

I applied on their website and then a call center guy called up and confirmed my address. 2 days later he calls and says that they dont have lines running up to my area, which i assume should be right as i dont know anybody in my building or vicinity that has a tata landline. Some have those walky thingies, which is wireless so i assume it talks to the cell tower?

Will go visit the shop at plaza and inquire again. But do you mean that the call center guys may be wrong and they do have lines in my area?

Some people in my builiding have hathway cable internet, kinda comparable in plans to MTNL.. only the supplier isnt hathway directly, they go thought my local cable wala, whose service is iffy.. so if the connection craps out friday evening, itll only get restored monday morning...

Oh. Unlikely then, given that no one in your vicinity has tata. Maybe, Reliance wired? I dunno about Dadar, but, large parts of Prabhadevi have Reliance wired.

Another thing with mtnl is, if you cant get them to change your port, you can apply for a new connection and see how that goes. Assuming you're up for it, of course.

@FireSword
ur on Ericsson..... which has speed issues during the day.... 11AM-6PM.... and very dynamic IP's are good.... rest will hav packet loss...
Only Ericsson range without any problems is 59.184.x.x..... which probably only @x720 is on.....

I was on Ericsson 59.182.x.x...... so I use to manually disconnect a lot to get tht dynamic IP in the good range for next 10Hr session.... You can try the good IP range 59.182.0.x to 59.182.14.x and 59.182.48.x to 59.182.63.x...... The third block of IP is wht u need to keep track of..... On avg the third block of IP changes @ 2permin.... so I could time it accordingly...

OR send email to your respective appellate authority. to change your port to SOTL...... My port was changed in 2 days after sending the email. You will not get any reply to that mail but a confirmation call on landline that your problem is solved which means port is changed.

@Satyajeet
You too send email to your respective appellate authority. to change your port to SOTL...... A bit politeness and problem proof (like packet loss/timeout screenshots with mail) seems to have worked for me....

Back