MTNL Triband Broadband Cannot open websites like hotmail and hi5 etc

• Thread starter Thread starter ayuboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 22,236
I just have MTNL from only the last two days... it sucks. I really cant imagine how are these guys managing things.

[*]I cannot open sites like Citibank - India , Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com , Tech product reviews for cell phones, computers, MP3 players - CNET ..... etc... etc. ??
[*]I applied for a 256kbs Unlimited connection and I checked the same too, that the connection activated for me is 256kbps unlimited one. But somehow this damn thing is downloading things at a speed of 800kbps. Which is unbelieveable..i.e. Infront of a max speed of 32 killo bytes pers second it is downloading at 120-130 killo bytes per second. How is this happening ??
[*]Next I run a website SaveAndEarn.org - Under Construction and somehow all php scripts have stopped executing for that site. I cannot execute a single a php. I cant send mails, cant make any changes to the portal which requires a php script to be executed. I wonder is this something with upload or what ?? I am damn confused. When I access this site through my pda or office comp it is just smooth as ever.
[/list]MTNL has intalled a MT-882 ADSL Modem. Same thing with me too speedtest.net would not test the upload speed. Please help I am damn confused and irritated. I am paying through my nose for this but it is bad.... the only best part is the speed but whats the use half things would not work.

Please guys through some light on my query. Please help !!

Thanks
Varun

1. Open the modems Diagnostics page and check all connections are Ok.
( MTNL and modem OK !)
Check speed at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test mumbai test site. more reliable.
2. Speed is not constant and varies depending on various factors.
For 256Kbps connection the max speed is 32Kb/sec meaning you can Download
a ONE MB file in 30 to 40 seconds approx.
3. Try a different browser like FireFox. What is the OS your are using in the problem computer ?
4. Enable cookies in your computer.

I think there was a temporary problem yesterday sometime. I was having trouble opening many sites too. Although, it's fixed now. Try again..

Please note it could also be a temporary DNS glitch but since one of the above tried his h/w in a friend’s house & it still didn’t work, MTU setting could be the problem. For those who cant access some sites especially email sites, please check the MTU setting of your wireless router. If there is a ‘auto’ option use it. If that won’t help, put value of 1400 or 1492 or 1500. & See which works for you. (Different makes & models have different default settings) My D-Link DSL 502T has these settings ‘MTU 1400 bytes MRU 1492 bytes’ & Linksys wireless WRT 54G has ‘MTU auto’ selected by default. Hope this helps.

Love You man !!! I would have spent a fortune trying to understand what the problem was and trust me I could not have even guessed it it is the the MTU. I changed it to 1400 from 1500 and bingo all websites including citibank, download all are accesible. Moreover my website also is running smoothly again I am able to send all mails. Guys this is no temporary glitch I tested it the moment I changed my MTU all this went down again whereas MTU:1400 seems to save my day. Thank you so much guys and this wonderful community. :thumbsup: Regards,Varun

Just wanted to confirm that I too have been having the same problem for a year (yahoo mail & hotmail login impossible) and changing the MTU from 1500 to 1400 did the magic. Thanks guys!

Guys.. I joined This forum just to reply to your query,

On the Router Page, go to "Interface Setup" and Go down to bottom,.. there you'll find MTU set that to 0 instead of 1500. MTU Stands for Maximum Transmission Unit, generally all routers (esp. WiFi) have max. value of 1500, this is what made the website not to load.Frankly telling MTNL People suck, they disconnected every call I did on this Sunday (2-March-2008) to them, they just sucked... 5 calls in a row disconnected every time. That made me do some research & use my past experience on routers :D .

They don't even have a Quality Assurance check, wish I could check on where they take calls ..something like RTI, If someone could do I would really really appreciate that.

Thanks
Gagan
DelhiTechies - Welcome
eBookServer.ORG - Home

@bgagan911
Welcome to Broadbandforum.in
1.Please see this thread.
https://broadband.forum/bsnl-dataone-broadband/23290-unable-open-few-sites/
I can't access some websites ... why? - Ask Leo!
MTU, Partial Loss of Internet Connection, and Performance

n the Router Page, go to \"Interface Setup\" and Go down to bottom,.. there you'll find MTU set that to 0 instead of 1500. MTU Stands for Maximum Transmission Uni.....
2. Please mention the router model you are using. and if possible the screen shot of the page.
In my Betel220BX1Adsl2+modem , I could not find this "Interface Setup"
3 Recommended MTU setings for different speeds. .
::. Kitz - Tweaking MTU settings .::

Thanks a ton!I found this randomly (Google rocks!) after being depressed for a month!Thanks a ton for the solution...Cheers!

@bhadrishWelcome to Broadbandforum.inGlad to note this forum helped you in solving the problem.Will appreciate if feedback is given about :which program/solution you tried.

Back