MTNL Triband Broadband Cannot open websites like hotmail and hi5 etc

• Thread starter Thread starter ayuboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 51
  • Views Views 22,236
Hi,I have two MTNL ADSL connections and one of them is having the same exact problem since yesterday. I am on bridged mode.On that said connection[which is on alcatel server (@a) ] I can only open yahoo.co.in while most other sites including google,microsoft.com are not opening.Tracert to those sited is general failure.My modem is starrcom UT 200R2U. My SNR margins are 34 /36 and attenuation is 24/19. no CRC errors.In router config page when I tun test for connectivity on PVC-0 I get "Testing ATM OAM segment ping FAIL" and "Testing ATM OAM end to end ping FAIL" what is the significance of this?What I have already triedChanging DNS to 1) 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 2) 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222Changing MTU size from 1500 to 1492 and to 1400.Using a different modem of the same make Running antivirus and antispywareUsing Different PCUsing different PC and different tel no but same userid and password for ADSL. ( it works ! lol).But no success. Anyone else on alcatel server having same problem? (with @a suffix after tel no)Any help is greatly appreciated.I will try calling 1504 but dont expect to get any help there.Thank you,Indrajeet

i am facing problem from yesterday (i have non @a account)Indian IPs are pinging. OpenDNS isnt pinging too.i disconneted and reconnected 10-15 times and finally managed to get IP which doesnt have this problem.so soln iskeep ping continuously on, on IP 208.67.220.220keep disconnecting and reconnecting till time that ping works.do not disconnect once ping starts else u will again have to repeat the procedure

Thank you @ amish,I did try what u said and it worked.BTW i talked to 1504 n they said its got something to do with alcatel server being updated. She asked me to talk to server room guys. I will try that too if I get through to server room.

he already tried that. but its not DNS problem. its routing problem

/members/amish/ You are right. I could have posted this wrongly here. Will be more careful in future.

dont take it seriously buddy. i make mistakes too.

Changing MTU settings to 1492 will definitely fix the problem of sites not opening.

BTW do we also have to change TCP MSS to 1452?(question for advanced users)
Because Generally TCP MSS is 40 points lower than MTU.
Does this actually help cause most modems have 0 value as default

first of all, i wud like to thank all of you.
we have taken mtnl connection in the office & were facing the same problems.
after numerous calls to customer care & visits to MTNL office, i started to goole about the issue.
and i got the problem solved.
thks a ton.
but only problem im facing is that the changes in MTU are not permanent.
every time modem is switched off, change needs to be done again.
and the area suffers frm load shedding, so problem comes up every now and then.
if anybody can help me on this issue, i wud be very grateful.
i tried this.

Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE) on one of your "Client" machines.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces.
There should be several subkeys under the Interfaces key; most likely, you'll find three. View the contents of each key by clicking, and find the one that corresponds to your primary network adapter; it will be the one with more values than the other two, and will have an IP address value set to something like 192.168.0.x.
Once you've found the correct subkey, create a new DWORD value in it (Edit -> New -> DWORD Value), and name the value MTU.
Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value determined above.
Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.
Repeat this for each Client machine.

under the interface, there are several folders with numbers on it. so i dont know wch to modify.
and also im completely unaware of coding.

Back