My current hard disk going bad, which new one to go for..

• Thread starter Thread starter scott274
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,664

scott274

BBF Noob
ISP
MTNL Triband
Well lately I have been hearing faint tick-tick sound from my PC cabinet followed by system freeze and restart after a long time. and then on the first screen after restart hard drives are not detected and on the second screen either get "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press enter" or "Boot from CD/DVD, Invalid system disk, replace the disk and press any key" error messages after which the only thing I can do is switch off the main switch. Can't reinstall windows etc.Discussed this on a lot of forums and everybody said my hard disk are dying and to go get a new one. I was using Samsung SP0802N 80 GB Hard disk so far. Does anyone knows what is the approx warranty period for it. Brought it in july 2004. Went to the samsung site but they are asking for pin or serial No. and I don't know the number. Threw away the box a long time back.And if I have to buy a new hard disk, which one is good in quality and affordable now a days. I live in mumbai, where can i buy the hard disk. And is there a drastic price difference between 80 GB and slightly higher capacity hard disks.

Serial no is written on the sticker on the harddisk. When the disk starts clicking it can die anytime, backup any important data on the disk. For prices check this site http://deltapage.com/

the same thing happened to me, the clicking sound happens b'cos the header has trouble moving or something like that. i lost all my data, so i suggest you back up all your data as soon as you can, i believe segate and maxtor are widely available in india. for seagate warranty is around 3 years . do check deltapage or theitwares for price.

Which hard drive should I go for..

---
Brand-Make-Tech Specs-Price

Seagate-Sata 2-80 GB-1800
Seagate-Sata 2-160 GB-1975
Seagate-IDE-80 GB (7200 RPM)-1950
Seagate-IDE-160 GB (7200 RPM)-2200

Western Digital-Sata 2-80 GB-1700
Western Digital-Sata 2-160 GB-1850

Hitachi-Sata 2-80 GB-1750
Hitachi-Sata 2-160 GB-1950
Hitachi-IDE-80 GB (7200 RPM)-1800
Hitachi-IDE-160 GB (7200 RPM)-2200
---

Are these brands one of the best hard drives out there in the indian market right now. Any mumbai guys here so that I can discuss where exactly to buy my hard disk here.

What is the difference between Sata and IDE and which one best to choose. And among the brands seagate, western digital, Hitachi who gives the most warrant period.

ide is usually a safe bet on old computers. sata is fine on new ones. seagate is a safe bet for india. also try to get the faster version of the hdd. seagate usually has two three models in each capacity. the perpendicular ones are faster.

Ok I have almost decided on either of these two hard disk..

Seagate-Sata 2-160 GB-1975
Seagate-Sata 2-250 GB (8MB Buffer)-2200

But I didn't understand this "faster version-perpendicular ones" buisness. What should I ask for in the shop..

All seagate drives with 7200.10 or 7200.11 wriiten on the sticker have perpendicular recording. Before buying check if your motherboard has sata ports, if you dont have sata ports then buy ide drive.

Back