• Thread starter Thread starter devendra
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,894

devendra

Regular
ISP
Mtnl 384 Unlimited @ 749
Hi guys, I want help of yours i am using sify from 4yrs but i want to change to mtnl if something can happen. My phone line is in Hall & simentaneusly line goes to 2bedrooms and 1bedroom line is not working the pc which i have in kept in my room has no phone connection. I was just thinking that can i install wifi router or something similar to that in hall so that i can get signal from Hall to Room distance would be around 20-30feet no walls in between.Pls tell me how much cost i will incurred if i do this & will it work or not.I hardly have knowledge about wifi system

Please confirm that
1) Laying a wire to your bedroom is not an option
2) Using Desktop and/or laptop
3) Is your compter WiFi capable

From the post above I presume that laying a wire to your bedroom is not an option (probably the best & cheapest one). This wiring can be done by you & need not involve MTNL. Have a look at the url's below

Welcome to MTNL's Triband

MTNL Broadband Internet Services Tariff Plans

First decide which plan you want to opt for, the reason for this is for Unlimited plans there is no rent for the CPE. If you opt for a MTNL WiFi unit then setting up is their headache :). Again I presume you are using a Desktop. But remember you will need a WiFI card/dongle for your desktop to make it connect it to the WiFi router.

If you have decided to buy your own WiFi unit then you can opt for Netgear/Linksys/Belkin model (check out their websites). Setting up is not difficult and you will find help at this forum.

I do not want to do any wiring in my room as it will look odd that's why i want to do wifi from hall to bedroom.I would like to take 512 Unlimited planI wil purchase wifi router & wifi card of my ownI would connect my desktop & mobile

You can use WiFi provided you do not have too many walls in between. You have not mentioned which OS you are using, if its Vista then you wont have any problem using WPA2 security but if you are using XP SP2 then check out these url’s

Windows XP: Improve the security of your wireless home network

Implement WPA2-Personal wireless security on a Windows XP SP2-based computer

This Windows XP SP2 hotfix Downloaded from Windows XP WPA2 Hot Fix KB893357 | Patches & Drivers Download | PC World

This Windows XP SP2 hotfix installer will upgrade any XP computer to add support for "WPA2," a tough encryption standard for 802.11b/g wireless networks. In order to use WPA2, however, you may also need to update the driver for your wireless card, and to upgrade the firmware in your wireless gateway.

If you are opting for the MTNL provided CPE (no rent for Unlimited plans) just make sure it supports WPA2 :). If you are buying your own then you have to buy a ADSL2+modem cum WiFi router (on some websites the modem is also referred to as 'gateway') a single unit.
BTW: which mobile phone are you using

:D Ok so only the first & last para of post#7 will apply to you as Win 7 is ready for WPA2 :)

I was a sify sufferer once see http://socrates0.blogspot.com/2005/08/sify-subscriber-beware.html later I shifted to MTNL. I personally use D-Link 502T modem & Linksys WRT54G WiFi router. Check out
http://socrates0.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-configure-linksys-wrt54g.html

even though the make/model of router is different the fundas will be the same. I have no experience in setting up mobile phones for WiFi but the user manual should be having the details.

I called 1500 and ask about thisShe told no waiting period going on connection will be done within 2-3days offer going on 300+500 charges waived off if you using mtnl wireless modem no rent of rs50 in unlimited plans.I even told her that my phone line is in hall & pc at room she told it is wireless you can use anywhere in houseIs mtnl has downtime pls confirm me.

I called 1500 and ask about this
She told no waiting period going on connection will be done within 2-3days offer going on 300+500 charges waived off if you using mtnl wireless modem no rent of rs50 in unlimited plans.

I even told her that my phone line is in hall & pc at room she told it is wireless you can use anywhere in house

Is mtnl has downtime pls confirm me.

Rarely down. Which exchange are you on?

Back