need info on connecting Set top box to TV

bswaminathan

ISP
Airtel
HiI had a ONIDA TV which has 8channel selector button without remote also it has only RF input where i connect my cable TV now. I can't preset more than 8 channels as my TV can store only upto that. beyond that i have to tune my TV. I see one of my friend uses a set top box which has RF out and my friend connects his cable wire to it and change all the channels thru remote. that STB also supports aux video in where he connects video output of DVD player.Now can i use the same method to my TV. my TV can accept only RF input. can i buy a STB like Beetel and connect the cable TV to the STB and scroll the channels to it with a remote so that i don't have to depend on my TV for channels for scrolling.Can some one reply to me.Thank youSwaminathan

Dear,If you have a VCR you can tune TV and thru VCR remote you can scroll thru. My sincere advice is ... Pl update your entertainment setup and change the TV and enjoy the technology. This is not costly nowadays. and if you connect STB THRU audio-video cable u will get good quality picture and wonderful sterio sound. This festival offer you pl. use and change the TV. BEST REGARDS

Hi Nazeer, Thanks for your reply. The TV is primarily used by my mother in my native, i rarely watch TV, may be once in a week for watching news. I don't have a VCR.I have only a TV which can accept only RF input and has only 8channels and i have not subscribed to any DTH. I'm thinking of using a STB as it can be used to scroll channels as my TV can support only manual selection of 8 channels.I will connect my cable TV wire to STB and use the STB remote to scroll channels. the RF out of the STB will go in to TV.

hello,Assuming that you have a cable TV connection at home, if your provider has the CAS setup you will be able to get a set top box from him, connect it to your TV and use the remote of the STB to change channels. This will work only if the STB has an RF output. Else you may need to buy a a/v - RF converter and use. Instead of all these trouble, you can very well upgrade your TV. Else, you can go for a electronic tuner which comes with a remote and can be installed in your TV.(I remember seeing some external tuners as well ...) This will help you to operate the TV with the remote and can watch more than 100 channels and will come under a price of 1000. Contact your nearest electronic shop for more details.

HiThanks for your reply. My cable TV provider doesn't provide any STB. Its a direct connection to TV. I found most of the beetel STB has RF out. I have seen the RF tuner, its not so compatible, external tuners are expensive. Also i plan to migrate to DD DTH since my mother used to see only tamil channels and most of the tamil channels are now FTA ecept vijay. What i want to know is, I'm subscribed to cable TV. The service provider gives some 100+ channels, my TV is a old model one it has only 8channels available beyond this i have to retune one of my channels. also it can accept only RF input alone. so i can't use even a DVD player. My service provider asked me to replace the TV. but I'm not convinced in his reply as the TV is good and my mother used to watch it. Now instead of buying TV to fix the RF and channel problem, i just think if i can use a beetel STB or any STB and have DVD player hooked to the video input and cable wire to the antennae input of STB and connect the RF OUT of the receiver to the RFIn of the TV so that i can use a DVD player, i can watch TV, I can scroll channels with my STB remote. It serves for all purposes and i don't have to change my TV.If you are in Tamilnadu, pls provide your contact no?

Swaminathan,

If your cable provider do not have CAS, then you are getting analogue signals. I am not sure whether there is any STB available here which is compatible with analogue signals, though a Google search revealed some. If beetel has one, you can go for that and enjoy, but make sure that its an analogue one and not digital STBs which are common now a days. If you are planning to migrate to DDD+, its better not to invest in an STB now as you will be getting an STB with the DDD+ kit. That should solve your problem.
Are you sure that you will get all tamil channels in DDD+?
I am not from TN.

HiThanks for your reply. what is a DDD+ kit, where i can buy it and any details/ price. usually we connect the cable wire directly to TV and not thru any STB. So i think as you conveyed its an Analogue. I think except vijay i will get all tamil channels. do u know any model of STB which accepts video in from an DVD player?let me check with Insat 4B database.Thank youSwaminathan

DDD+ = DD Direct +. That is the name of the DTH service from DoorDarshan. When you book, they give you a kit which includes the STB, the dish. (This STB will take the input signals from satellite and not fropm your cable TV :) )

Hi Thanks for the reply. Yesterday i went to the store to buy DDD+. the dealer told he is not sure if the cable wire can be connected to the STB, I told him that im going to connect the cable wire to the Antennae IN of the STB. he said he is not sure ans asked me to double check it.Are you sure the STB will accept cableTV input to the Antennae IN (its a RF input)the dealer doesn't sell DDD+, he said the DDD+ provides only DD channels and most of the tamil channels are omitted and so no body buys it.In the beetel receiver(STB) i found a Antennae IN which is basically RF IN. will it accept cable TV wire in? if not what for this is used.

@bswaminathanWe faced a similar situation with our first tv. There was a simple solution then. An electronics repair fellow fixed a tuner inside the television itself. That came with a remote and had the capacity of about 90 channels. The technology might have changed but must still be available. Cost about 1000 bucks then. The system is not pretty. But it worked. Don't know about dvd players etc. coz we did not have it then. The tuner was of some chinese make. Ask around and I think you will find it.

Back