• Thread starter Thread starter Tejas01
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 229
  • Views Views 24,733

Tejas01

Dream big in life.
ISP
Airtel XStream Fiber
This will be my first washing machine and I am truly clueless what should I look for. Need your help with some pointers. Following are some details if they help.

1. Top load machine for a family of two.
2. Weight- between 6-7 kg. I mean I don't know. Will 7 kg be too much for 2 people. We will be primarily using it for washing heavy clothes like bedsheets, curtains, recron pillows. I was thinking of getting 6.5 kgs if in case there is extra load. 7 kg just to be extra safe.
3. Which brand to look for? No idea. LG seems fine. Any brand which has a better service record. I have had bad experiences with big brands like Sony, Hitachi, IFB. So will be avoiding them. Samsung, LG have been good for me. My 2002 Samsung refrigerator still going strong.
4. Most important- I live in an area where the issue of corrosion is significant. So any company which offers durable electronics will be preferred.(Seems LG already got a head start here with corrosion proof and inverter tech.)
5. Availability of spare parts.
6. I live on 4th floor and the main water tank is on the 8th floor(terrace). So I am assuming there shouldn't be any issue with water pressure. In summers it may create some problem when water supply is reduced.
7. Budget 15,000-18,000.
8. Can i get a heater in top load models? From what I searched for, didn't find any.
What are the other things I need to look for? Do I need to get a wheel tray? I mean I am looking at a possibility that I might have to move the machine during summers when water supply and pressure is low.
What are the demerits of not having the required water pressure?

@Chip bought the powder version as liquid version wasn't available.

Upvote 0
Are there any good cheaper options for descaling powders? I bought one LG ScaleGo pack from official LG service center which costed Rs 250 but it can be used for only one tub clean cycle. IMO, its pretty expensive.
@Tejas01 you mentioned vinegar. Are you using it regularly for tub clean? How has been the performance?

Upvote 0
LG powder is available cheap on Amazon iirc. Hard to say if it's fake or not. IFB as well.

I used Amazon's cheapo liquid bottle solution. I am not sure if it works honestly speaking because I have no idea how scaling looks like on the drum. It seems pretty clean to me anytime I check it. But I still run the powder/liquid after a few months.

Upvote 0
@ch@ndlerbing you need to decide what's important for you depending on how frequently you descale the washing machine which in turn depends on the quality of water supply.

I use the Bosch powder which at Rs 600+ is expensive seen on its own and is very effective at not just descaling but disinfecting the tub. I'd rather pay for a good quality product but that's just me. Many front load WMs, depending on model, come with sealed tubs (I have a Siemens which does) which means the bearings and other internal parts cannot be replaced. Replacing the entire assembly is an expensive proposition coming to nearly half the cost of the machine.

Upvote 0
I use vinegar regularly when I am cleaning the tub. Being acidic, it helps to remove the left over soap residue.

Upvote 0
I’ve never descaled my machine in the last 10 years. I think I did it once, that too when my refrigerator technician gave me free powder to do it. 😛

We get supply water here so this hasn’t been much of a problem. But I don’t know if I should actually do it nevertheless.

Upvote 0
@Sushubh Fabric softener being petroleum based will destroy your fabric eventually.
Prices back to ₹700 for Bosch descaler.
Btw, can anyone tell if they are using hard water for their laundry? How are you managing the hardness. My water here is pretty hard, around 600 ppm hardness
I got a new IFB Serena ZSS 7 kgs for my new location. With water bring hard, looking for options.
While the ultimate solution would be going for ion-exchange based water softener, their price makes me look for other alternatives.

Upvote 0

Back