• Thread starter Thread starter AgentX
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 4,738

AgentX

The Secret Agent
ISP
Airtel / BSNL
Hey guys, I need a little information. I want to know the Lease Time between the BSNL Server to our Computer. I use PPPoE connection and I tried testing from two days. It was near 24 hours and then suddenly I lost the connection for about 5 to 6 seconds and I received a new dynamic IP Address.Then, today I tested with a Bridged mode connection to check If I can see the Lease Time in the Status option of the connection. (I even tried "ipconfig/all" to check, But I don't get any information regarding the Lease and its expiry)Does that mean my router has a hidden option to automatically get a dynamic IP (lease-renew) or its the same for both the modes. (Or, Is their a router which has a setting to manually input the Lease time required? I'm talking about the dynamic IP allocation lease time And not the lease time of our Internal IP address)(I read somewhere that PPPoE connection doesn't has a lease time and preferably the connection may drop due to other problems like line stability and dsl link?) And, If I ordered a Static IP from BSNL, will the Lease time be extended? Or be infinite?Thanks.

You cannot "order" static IP for all plans. Check the BSNL site for plans where one static IP is provided on request.

You cannot "order" static IP for all plans. Check the BSNL site for plans where one static IP is provided on request.

Static IP Address is provided for all new home plans for an annual charge of 1500 -/- and this is not what I'm trying to ask..

Does that mean my router has a hidden option to automatically get a dynamic IP (lease-renew) or its the same for both the modes. (Or, Is their a router which has a setting to manually input the Lease time required? I'm talking about the dynamic IP allocation lease time And not the lease time of our Internal IP address)

(I read somewhere that PPPoE connection doesn't has a lease time and preferably the connection may drop due to other problems like line stability and dsl link?)

I am not a techie person. My understanding

1) Lease time is set by the "DHCP server" (in this case BSNL server)

2) Whether you use Bridge Mode and dial out or whether you use PPPoE in modem, it is finally a ppp connection only and has no difference.

In the past I did notice that the connections dropped more frequently compared to the modem dialing out and finally stuck to using the modem dial out.

With regards to Getting a static IP for Rs 1500/= per anum for any plan - Can you please provide a link to the page where it is stated, it would be helpful for me.

1) Yes, Correct.

2) So they don't set any kind of Lease? This either means my router is the one trying to renew or something?

I will check with dial mode for 24 hours (damn, Powercuts are a problem :P)...

And, here is the link for the Static IP :
http://bsnl.co.in/service/New_BB_postpaid.htm

Read the terms and conditions in the blue colored' text on the page:
For all the plans, Dynamic IP addresses only will be given. In case, where the provision of static IP address has been made, one additional static IP address can also be offered @ Rs. 1500/- per annum.

Read the T & C, for all plans dynamic IPs only will be provided. For plans starting with the 2799 onwards there is a provision to provide one static IP "on request" - not mentioned though here. For such plans if you want another static IP we can get it at Rs 1500 per anum. Please be informed I have a static IP and have subscribed for the 2799 plan - That is why I asked for the link in BSNL. I am sure they do not give static IP for all plans.

oh Sorry, I guess I kind of mistook their words then?So they will be giving an additional IP with the current free Static IP they give with that specific plan @2799..

Back