New MTNL Connection Help

• Thread starter Thread starter sachinc
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,880

sachinc

ISP
Sify
I am taking a new MTNL connection, need some help on the following: 1. Was thinking on going in for the wireless router ( I believe a wireless router should have one wired port as well) so I plan to connect my desktop and laptop as well. Now the MTNL guy told me that their wireless modems are not good. Plz suggest which is the right modem to go in for. 2. Whats the range usually of a wireless modem:confused: 3. Can I set up the modem for the laptop myself, i mean is it eay to do to set it up urself:thumbsup:

You can go for any of1) Netgear DG834GV or DG834Gv5 : Rs.32492) Linksys WAG54G2: Rs 2500Both these models are wireless ADSL2+ modem router. These models have 4 ethernet ports each. So you can choose to connect your desktop directly and your laptop wirelessly, that is if you do not wish to buy a wifi USB adaptor to connect your desktop wirelessly.A typical wireless router has a range of 32 m (120 ft) indoors and 95 m (300 ft) outdoors. These vary according to the types of antennas used in the router.Finally, there should not be a problem in configuring the router all by yourself. The manuals are usually more thn enough to help you. If you still need help these forums are always there for you. :)

@ronello Nice post!!!@sachinc Linksys is a trusted brand and affordable..setting it up is pretty easy, you have a lot of tutorials on the internet..

You can go for any of
1) Netgear DG834GV or DG834Gv5 : Rs.3249
2) Linksys WAG54G2: Rs 2500

Both these models are wireless ADSL2+ modem router. These models have 4 ethernet ports each. So you can choose to connect your desktop directly and your laptop wirelessly, that is if you do not wish to buy a wifi USB adaptor to connect your desktop wirelessly.

A typical wireless router has a range of 32 m (120 ft) indoors and 95 m (300 ft) outdoors. These vary according to the types of antennas used in the router.

Finally, there should not be a problem in configuring the router all by yourself. The manuals are usually more thn enough to help you. If you still need help these forums are always there for you. :)
AFAIK the Linksys WAG54G2 is only a wireless router and does not contain a ADSL modem. I guess you mean the WAG200G which costs about Rs 3500/-

It does have an inbuilt ADSL2+ modem. I think earlier someone else also had a doubt on another thread. Linksys.com ? Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Gateways: Broadband Routers with Modems/Wireless-G (802.11g)/WAG54G2
Oh good. Thanks, I wasn't aware that it was a ADSL modem as well.

^ you must have been confused with WRT54G2. i hade the same mistake as well. :P

2) Linksys WAG54G2: Rs 2500

Could you please tell me where you are able to get this at this price?
I see that the WRT54G2 is around the price you have mentioned but I don't see the WAG54G2 available at Rs 2500

The prices mentione dar the best I found by googling. So I dont remebmer where I got that price from. I have tried using the same keywords to serach still cant find it. The best price I see right now is Rs.4005

Back