Nextra Fiberbolt 10 in Gurgaon

• Thread starter Thread starter vipfloyd
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 23,635
Back to square one. Indian government cannot do shit in this situation. The babus at MTNL and BSNL would go on hartaal as soon as they see a threat to work culture. I mean BSNL Gurgaon has acquired all the raw material for laying down fiber in my locality but nope... no one wants to actually do the hard work of laying down the fiber so that FTTH connections can be offered in my locality.

Abb inka kya hoga?:o:p

I think fibre should be a public utility. Only one fibre line with 10 gigabit backhaul can be used by different ISPs to give out connections. That would reduce the burden on companies to lay down fibre of their own every time they want to expand to a new area.Just like electricity lines which come to your home. The line can be permanent but you can have a choice between a bunch of companies.

chromaniac said:
Why should the government invest in a fiber network? The only reasonable thing that can happen is that BSNL and MTNL merges. Combined entity focus on infrastructure development that is then rented out to private players so that private players do not have to spread their own network. They can just rent the fiber from the government owned company and focus on the service element.
If that could happen then India will see a boost in High Speed Broadband within 1 Year. As of now BSNL have thousand kms of dense fiber laid without any use. Hope the day will come when they will generously open their arms and let private players use the DWM's to expand to multiple city.

BSNL FTTH is costly as f**k.I recently went to BSNL daftar and saw aunties confused on FTTH questions. Went to SDO (nicer guy, atleast than the herd). Fibre was almost available in my area. He said it would be there in a few 'weeks' . I don't know what weeks mean to BSNL. I knew the FTTH plan rates but had a pipe dream that I might get some good deal on fibre , maybe some crazy promo offers. But it all crashed when he said no promo offers were there. I asked whyTF does it cost so much for even 1 Mbps (3000 Rs + taxes), he said he himself had asked this same question to his seniors at meetings. He said that BSNL is like a freakin large body that it has its hands into so much non profitable things and the management is weak, very weak. Any new decision on local tariffs can't be taken individually like smaller ISPs which are eating its share. I was utterly surprised when he said that it should be privatized to some extent and should fire the lazy people to get in young people(He was like in early 30's)! He even said BSNL is a typical example of 'sarkari' company but said that people who have passion lose it when their bosses are dumb. He said they cannot introduce good competitive fiber tariffs on their own for local taste. We need people like these in our PSUs to make our them better!

I was referring to the fact that BSNL does have a lot of unused Fiber which if leased out to private operators will eliminate the hassle. Govt. should have a policy in place which will not only allow private operators to share the Govt owned fiber but also allow strict policy for broadband performance rather that imposing multiple restrictions and limitations on private ISP. Anyway , i have been shared the new that Gurgaon is soon going to be hit by a new player who will offer 20Mbps 50 GB FUP under 1500 bucks. I am not affiliated with any ISP but the information provided by me is confirmed enough. Some more plans are on the way in which user *MIGHT* get 20/20Mbps ( Yes Symmetric ) True Unlimited At an Unbelievable Price Band Subject to *Fine Print* . I say *Fine Print* because its nearly impossible but work is in progress to make it possible. In the week or next if i have any more relevant updates , then i will humbly ask the Admin to open up an Exclusive thread so that i can take inputs and share the same with the consortium.

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]20Mbps 50 GB FUP under 1500 bucks is quite useless really. We do not have services like Netflix in India which would benefit from such high speeds. 30 rupees per GB of data is quite horrible. [/color]

chromaniac said:
[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Droid Sans', helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]20Mbps 50 GB FUP under 1500 bucks is quite useless really. We do not have services like Netflix in India which would benefit from such high speeds. 30 rupees per GB of data is quite horrible. [/color]
Muskesh Ambani plans to launch Netflix like service or might surprice by launching Netflix itself with 4G! I read an article mentioning that Netflix has setup special research teams to take it to international markets. I hope that they are concidering India too!

Just to state the obvious... Netflix is not coming to Indian market anytime soon. The content on Netflix is mostly American. If the American media labels were interested in Indian market, they would have gone with Apple first. Apple is not selling television series in India from what I understand.Also. 10 rupee per GB rumors were probably started by Reliance for the sake of it. Reliance is unlikely to offer such plans at least at the lower end of the market. In any case, video streaming is not something that is suited for wireless networks. Even 4G. Americans do not run Netflix type services on wireless internet networks.There have been clear indications that Reliance would barely be able to launch in metro cities by the end of current financial year (March 2014). I do not expect much from them. Yes, they have revealed plans to offer value added services in the form of content delivery... But I doubt it would be international content which has little market in the country.

Back