• Thread starter Thread starter Outlander
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 2,191

Outlander

Regular
ISP
BSNL
My net connection was down for two days. Today when it started, the icon in the system tray keeps trying to acquire an IP address for a while every time I start the modem, and finally it says that this connection has limited or no connectivity. I can use the internet normally though.I went to Network Connections and tried the repair option, but nothing happens. In TCP/IP properties, both IP address and DNS servers are set to be obtained automatically, this is how it has been all this time.When I tried to open 192.168.1.1 in the browser, it doesn't open (in any of the browsers). I did an ipconfig /all, and this is what it shows:Windows IP configuration:Host name - XXXPrimary DNS Suffix - nothingNode type - UnknownIP Routing Enabled - NoWINS Proxy Enabled - NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection:Connection-specific DNS Suffix - nothingDescription - (adapter name)Physical address - (address)Dhcp enabled - YesAutoconfiguration Enabled - YesIP address - 59.95.XXX.XXX (keeps changing)Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.255Default gateway - same as IP addressDNS Servers - 61.1.96.69 and 218.248.240.208NetBIOS over Tcpip - disabledI've reset the modem two to three times today by pressing the reset switch at the back. Finally what I did was enter the IP address and DNS servers manually in the TCP/IP properties, the ones that the BSNL guy gave me a long time back. They are:IP address - 192.168.1.2Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0Default gateway - 192.168.1.1DNS Servers:Preferred: 192.168.1.1Alternate: noneThis way I was able to access the modem page. Earlier, when the internet started working, the connection was breaking every fifteen seconds, then I went to the modem page and set the options to Glite and Bitswap enabled (the modem is Huawei MT882), and now the continuous reconnection problem has gone. But as soon as I try to set it to obtain the address automatically, the problem starts. So what exactly has gone wrong. Secondly, is it alright to enter the IP address and all manually - does it put you at risk in any way?Thanks.

But as soon as I try to set it to obtain the address automatically, the problem starts. So what exactly has gone wrong. Secondly, is it alright to enter the IP address and all manually - does it put you at risk in any way?

In your modem the DHCP is not enable thats why your LAN network not getting the IP address automatically from your modem.

Enter manually IP address to your network card does not face any security issue.

I set the IP address in Network Connections > Local Area Connection, accessed the modem page, and enabled the DHCP server, though in the WAN settings type it still reads: Connection Type - Pure Bridged, not DHCP.Also entered the following settings in the firewall section, which I found from a webpage: Black List Status - EnabledBlock Duration - 10 minutesUse Attack Protection, Use DOS Protection - both AllowMax Tcp Open Handshaking Count - 100Max ICMP Count - 2Max Host Count - 2I've removed the IP address from the Local Area Connection, but now it doesn't search for an IP address; it says: IP address - 192.168.1.2, Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0, Assigned by DHCP.:happy:

Back