• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,746

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
My Son was watching YouTube very long time. He watched it on mobile, tablet and even Fire TV stick. I tried putting app timer, but he figured out to increase timer.
Finally I blocked YouTube from Router Access Control settings (TP-Link Router provided by ISP). Now YouTube was not working from browser or app on any devices. Even YouTube Kids app stopped working.
But today we found that YouTube was working on Chrome browser in OnePlus 7. I was surprised how it is working. I even disabled mobile data thinking that mobile data maybe allowing it to work. When URL is entered, it displays error of DNS not found, but again page refreshes to display website.
I added ndtv URL in Router Access Control to deny list. But ndtv website is also working on OnePlus Chrome browser, while blocked on all other devices.
Any idea how OnePlus is opening blocked websites?

it could be encrypted dns (chrome has internal feature in privacy section) or it could be a VPN though vpn symbol would appear in the top bar. eventually you would realize that this is going to be tough thing to manage. i imagine android has some form of parental control features... never looked into it though... but kids are smart. they would figure it out i imagine.

because chrome has internal feature which means that you can now control encrypted dns settings in individual installs of chrome.

WSmzN1Q.webp

this affects only this install of chrome. not any other on the same network.

Reactions: SVK
a friend uses c6, and he blocked fast.com from the parental control just to mess with me, i couldn't access it even after enabling NextDNS DoH in chrome. How can it intercept and read DoH queries?

i can't say if doh is the reason for the unblock in this case. but seems like an easy thing to check. blocking at router level i imagine differ from one device to another? hard to say tbh. i do basic blocking through NextDNS on my router. but i can easily bypass it as well using a different encrypted dns provider on individual devices for instance.

tried putting app timer, but he figured out to increase timer.
You are fighting a battle you just can't win. What's next? He's going to learn about VPNs and that's endgame for this indirect attempt to control him.

Better option would be to talk to him, maybe introduce him to new hobbies. He's just bored.

Reactions: SVK
^^^ I know. He figures out workaround somehow.
First I tried App timer, he found way to increase timer.
I then hide the app, he found that it can be searched in app drawer.
I disabled app, he found that YouTube can be viewed in Google app as well as browsers.
I disabled Java in browsers, YouTube stopped working, but then browser became useless for all other browsing as well :D
Finally found way to stop it through Router. But apparently its also not full-proof as I discovered online that many people have posted "Access Control" not working for TP-Link Routers.

Can't send to play outside due to lockdown, so TV and Internet is only mode to timepass when I am busy with office work :(

Back