Pakistan have 6k FTTH connections, how many does India have??

• Thread starter Thread starter xred
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2,036

xred

Regular
ISP
Tikona
Pakistan ends March with 1.29 mln broadband subs - Telecompaper
[h=1]Pakistan ends March with 1.29 mln broadband subs[/h]Monday 6 June 2011 | 03:31 CET

Pakistan ended March with 1.29 million broadband subscribers, up from 1.22 million subscribers in February, according to figures from the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA). The number of DSL subscribers rose to 616,615 compared with 595,038 a month earlier, while the number of Wimax internet users stood at 390,351, up from 338,962 Wimax users in February. Some 236,938 people connected to the internet via EV-DO, up from 234,113 in the prior month, and 41,533 people used HFC to access the internet, compared with 43,193 HFC users in February. Furthermore, there were 5,993 FTTH users in March, up from 5,818 a month earlier, and 1,467 broadband subscribers used other technologies.

Pakistan ends March with 1.29 mln broadband subs - Telecompaper
[h=1]Pakistan ends March with 1.29 mln broadband subs[/h]Monday 6 June 2011 | 03:31 CET

Pakistan ended March with 1.29 million broadband subscribers, up from 1.22 million subscribers in February, according to figures from the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA). The number of DSL subscribers rose to 616,615 compared with 595,038 a month earlier, while the number of Wimax internet users stood at 390,351, up from 338,962 Wimax users in February. Some 236,938 people connected to the internet via EV-DO, up from 234,113 in the prior month, and 41,533 people used HFC to access the internet, compared with 43,193 HFC users in February. Furthermore, there were 5,993 FTTH users in March, up from 5,818 a month earlier, and 1,467 broadband subscribers used other technologies.

There are a lot of homes passed, but not much take up yet because most of the providers doing FTTH are pricing it stupidly.

My simple calculation is: India have a population of 1.2bn and Pakistan have population of 190mn. So if Pakistan have 6k FTTH connections, India should have 40k connections for same penetration level. With India projecting itself as an IT hub, we should have even better FTTH penetration rate. Currently, I don't think that is the case. And I am not comparing with some developed nation, but another third world country.

India has 256kbps download speeds u ppl are dreaming abt FTTH lol :P

My simple calculation is: India have a population of 1.2bn and Pakistan have population of 190mn. So if Pakistan have 6k FTTH connections, India should have 40k connections for same penetration level. With India projecting itself as an IT hub, we should have even better FTTH penetration rate. Currently, I don't think that is the case. And I am not comparing with some developed nation, but another third world country.

Even compared to Pakistan, India has not got it's act together when it comes to telecommunications & Internet. It's as simple as that.

As mentioned, there are a lot of homes passed (I would expect BSNL has got at least a couple lakh homes passed by now), but very few takers of the available FTTH services as yet, partially because the main player offering FTTH (BSNL) prices it's services pretty stupidly (Rs3k+tax for 1mbit/s and so on).

Pakistan is also superior in the VOIP arena as well, and like almost every other country in the world, they do allow VOIPPSTN and the assigning of e.164 compliant phone numbers (that is, a number starting with Pakistan's country code +92 that is possible to reach from any phone in the world... India does not allow this).

With India projecting itself as an IT hub, it should have a better all-round penetration rate and higher speeds. Period. Doesn't matter what technology is used.

India has 256kbps download speeds u ppl are dreaming abt FTTH lol :P

The technology and the speed have little to do with each other. Last I checked, most of the FTTH connections in Pakistan were between 0.5 and 4 mbit/s.

fuk FTTH or any other high speed plans that might be launching in the distinct future..... just give normal 4MBps or so speeds on current ADSL2 tech under 2500 PM.....without FUP and without any throttling of torrents......currently even this will do with some good service and uptime.

fuk FTTH or any other high speed plans that might be launching in the distinct future..... just give normal 4MBps or so speeds on current ADSL2 tech under 2500 PM.....without FUP and without any throttling of torrents......currently even this will do with some good service and uptime.

I'm still of the opinion that they should just give maximum speed and sell only data (at a decent price), but if they did go back to an "unlimited" model (or flat-rate as I would call it), then there will need to be an FUP of some description - but it needs to be fair. I can understand people complaining about it being 20GB or whatever but if it were 200GB then I don't understand it so much... and even less if there is actually something to upgrade to. Now there's not much that even goes past 2mbit/s, so even if users wanted to upgrade to something better, they can't.

Maybe speed tiers of 2, 8, and 20 mbit/s and FUPs of maybe 100, 200, 300GB for Rs1500, 2500, 3500 should replace what's available now. I'm quite sure that this would be achievable, but half the problem is most of the largest players have the 256kbit/s users maxing out their lines and only contributing Rs400-500 per month, so the high revenue users it would seem are almost subsidizing the low revenue users.

Back