• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 83050
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 3,573
  • Tags Tags
    pfsense
D

Deleted member 83050

Recently i have been doing a bit of digging on the internet about pfSense Firewall and planning to set it up in my home network. I have figured out the basics on how to get it working on a machine. Just had a few questions related to it and looking forward for some advice.

1. Since i am just starting out, i don't want to spend a lot of money initally. Was thinking of getting a old small form factor PC like Lenovo Mini PC or Dell Optiplex and flash pfSense on this. As per my research i have to buy a Dual/Quad Port 1GbE or 10GbE NIC PCIe card because i need minimum of 2 ports. What are the options available in the market? I am a little hesitant to import these products from China via AliExpress. Can i get it somewhere in India Itself, like LT Store?

2. Another option is to get an industrial PC something like this but this seems a bit expensive. Are there any cheaper industrial PCs available?

3. Another option which comes to my mind is to build a custom PC under a certain budget like 15-20k(with NIC) and flash pfSense on it. A noob question - Does AMD work fine with pfSense or i need to buy intel CPU only?

I am also a little worried about power consumption. What are the ways to minimize it?

My requirements:
1. I am currently on the 200 Mbps Plan but i might move to a higher plan maybe 500 Mbps with some other ISP. What things i need to keep in mind in order to remain future proof? Is it safe to get a 2.5 GbE ONU?
2. I may also want to setup two ISPs(dual wan) in failover or load balancing. What kind of NIC do i need then?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Skullsaints PCs are just rebranded ones you will find on AliExpress or other online marketplace outside of India. @vishalrao bought the Onyx. AMD should work, Opnsense devices are AMD embedded devices.

Upvote 0
get one of them boxes have it shipped to myus reship and value it at 50$. myus and shopandship are the only ones who calculate shipping on true weight rather than volumetric.

2.5gbe is the standard right now on these mini pcs everyone's moving away from gigabit.

intel based nics have the best driver support.

amd works perfectly fine just as well as intel on pfsense but most of the Chinese oem firewalls have Intel. Intel n100 is 12th gen and really good.

Upvote 0
The only issue with a round about shipping route is if there is an issue (and there may be an issue over a period of time) you would have to contact the Chinese manufacturer to check if you can ship directly to them, have it repaired, and then reship to India via the US. Pretty round about route.

If your budget permits go in for a Netgate or Protectli appliance. Both have excellent support and I speak from personal experience.

Upvote 0

Back