Please help deciding on migration from Asianet cable broadband to BSNL fibre

• Thread starter Thread starter TrueIndian
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2,891
ISP
BSNL
Hello all,

I am from Trivandrum, currently using Asianet cable internet with around 5-10Mbps speed, working alright, stable, good customer service, all coming in at about Rs. 8000 / year. However, Asianet recently started asking me to migrate to fibre, failing which I would lose internet, as their copper cable connection would soon be stopped. The new device was also offered to me without any extra charges, but there's a problem:

* Asianet's ONT would be owned (and therefore controlled) by Asianet themselves (not the customer) and also have a wireless router built in. Though the wireless radio could simply be turned off, I personally do not like the idea of an ISP-owned wireless device within my premises and therefore enquired about the possibility of a wired-only ONT, and got back a negative reply. Besides, I already have my own wireless router setup feeding cell-phones and laptop, that I do not want to disturb.

Now, since I also have a BSNL landline telephone connection (used to make lengthy calls to faraway relatives), I decided to look into BSNL's BharatFibre 399/449 plans, bundled with unlimited calls within India without changes to the telephone number. Unfortunately, I do not know much about BSNL's (or any other ISP's) fibre services / devices / technologies.

Since I'm new to all of this, I would like some help to know more about the following:

* BSNL's device is branded GX, also wireless, but is owned/controlled by customer and costs Rs. 4500/- to buy. Is this a good quality device? Also, can I get another compatible ONT on my own? What brands are the good ones and what would a proper price? I want voice, but do not need the wireless feature on the ONT. Also, does an ONT require a UPS/inverter?

* How stable is BSNL's fibre internet ? I give preference to a working, stable network rather than bitrate/speed. I need only about 10Mbps to satisfy myself and everyone else at home. I'm asking this since BSNL's telephone/broadband connection is already understood to be unreliable, with poor response to complaints/outages.

* Are there any hidden (installation etc.) charges / technical problems to expect upon changing to BSNL Fibre ? Current cable connection is satisfactory, but current ISP claims it's going to be decommissioned soon.

* Though fibre is considered (advertised) as being more stable connection when compared to a copper cable, are there any other (general) disadvantages to optical fibre links? What are your experiences with BSNL's BharatFibre services in Trivandrum?

Thanks in advance.
Happy New Year to all.

You can always use the asianet and bsnl modem in bridge mode.

Bsnl will charge you installation fee if its via an LCO

Fiber is the same as any other thing. Don't worry.

If you only want internet, I suggest you stick with Asianet.

If you want the landline, you can take bsnl and I think if you already have their landline you don't have to pay installation charges.

Also, everything is controlled on their end with or without their own router inside your building. It doesn't matter.

On top of this, everyone is providing made in China routers.

You are unnecessarily worrying.

Thanks itachi, but can I get the ONT on my own? It seems the BSNL's non-wifi ONT does not have a telephone port. Is it possible to use another from the open market ?

Please note that I'm being forced to consider all this as my current ISP is warning of disconnection etc.

Sent an enquiry to Syrotech regarding the above, no reply since the past few days. However, I tried asking around in the local electronics bazaar here and was advised the following:

1) Genexis/GX with Wifi & POTS=> Rs. 1850/-
2) Netlink with Wifi & POTS=> Rs. 1750/-

Which one do you people recommend ? The equipment at BSNL exchange is that of Genexis/GX.
Thanks.

Got Genexis Platinum 4410 for 2500/- (1 year warranty) along with the 399 Fibre Experience plan and same telephone number. My experiences with BSNL were as below.

1) As, the FTTH service in my area is handled by BSNL themselves (and not an LCO), the cable laying / installation was completely free, and no money was demanded by the linemen or exchange employees, at any point of time during the course of the entire process.

2) The internet connection was operational from the very next day after cable laying, with upload/download speeds around 15/25Mbps.

3) The telephone connection became functional only after 2-3 days.

4) Unlike mobile or conventional landlines, the FTTH telephone connection has excellent voice quality with no motorboating or static noises.

I hope the above information would help someone else in similar situations. Thanks to all, especially itachi for any replies.

Back