Plex

USD 5 seems to be it. Not sure how useful Plex is without the Pass subscription.

I don't see the need to get a Pass subscription unless you want to sync content to your mobile devices as well. Rest of the features are unnecessary like streaming trailers and extras or recording live TV if you ask me.

so paying for the app alone would be enough?
is transcoding(?) included in this combo?
does plex let you delete files from your server?
i wonder what other functionality i would need to giving it another try.

I am not using their mobile app. I have installed Plex server(free) on my Windows 10 laptop. I have configured my libraries on the server. Plex app for Fire TV, Android TV OS, Smart TVs etc is free.

Once the server is running on Windows 10, client app on Fire TV/Smart TVs/Android TV OS will recognise the server. You login to the client app with the same credentials and you can play your local library on client app.

You can control the transcoding, bitrate etc on server as well as client app(what it means is, your transcoding/bitrate could be different for different clients).

Right. Also the only reason you would need to purchase a mobile app is if you want to play content on the mobile. You can still stream directly to TV from mobile for free.

If I want to stream video files from pc to tv without any change in video quality, does plex have any advantage over other video sharing protocols?

Back