pls help new to linux can it be used without installing ???

ISP
bsnl
hello everybody iam new here pls help me :D and also forgive me if i have violated any rules .:happy:i am currently using xp sp2 p4 1.25 gb ddr2 ram and intel d102ggc2 160gb sata hdd segate :happy:pls help me decide which version of ubuntu (32bit & 64bit) will be best for me.:huh:i am just novice to linux never used it but aspire to try it :Di am currently downloading the ubuntu 8.10 32 bit is it ok ??:huh:i dont want to format my computer right at the moment as it has some sensetive data .:thumb:but want to try linux is it possiable to use linux without installing it besides xp sp2 ??:huh:pls let me know if it is possiable and how ..:thumb:hoping to get help :cool2: from the linux lovers ot there .

Welcome to Linux...Hope your journey will be satisfying!! You are downloading the correct version but 8.10 is still Beta, official date of release would be 30th Oct. You can use Ubunut without even installing it on HDD. Insert the CD and choose appropriate option. But if you want to install it on HDD I would highly recommend you to backup all your data as most of the new users tend to format entire HDD,accidentally, when installing Linux for the first time. You can dual boot XP with ubuntu very easily if you have a PRIMARY PARTITION free on your HDD.

Try "Live CDs", Ubuntu and Fedora both now have live CDs, which work without installing.

Back