problems in setting up wireless router

• Thread starter Thread starter vipinn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 3,008

vipinn

ISP
mtnl
I am having problems in setting up WRT54G (Linksys) on the network. Is PPPOE setting ideal? On the router configuration page I selected DHCP and changed the IP address to 192.168.1.2. And now a windows error message (IP address conflict with another system on the PC) is popping up every time I try to set up the router, and Iam not able to open up the router configuration web page! Any suggestions to the problem?

@member/vipinn/
Welcome to Broadbandforum.in
Suggestion 1 :IN TCP/IP properties select Obtain IP address automatically.
Suggestion 2 : IP renew IP release. for the router.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6771/ggcxj4.jpgjpg
Para two : "Always On" PPP/PPPoE usually selected for portforwarding options.
Reference : Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router owners manual and user guide
................:Linksys.com - Products/Wireless/Basic Networking/Broadband Routers/Wireless-G/WRT54G

Hi, thanks for the help!In fact I have downloaded the socrates blog on wrt54g and have followed it step by step. But the problem is still persisting. I will be setting up the router on the stand alone laptop, there is no other pc in my network! On the configuration page I have changed the entries as suggested by socrates. After I save the settings, the Starting IP address entry is 10.10.0.100 and when I changed it to 10.10.0.2, the wireless connection stopped working. But when i let the entry unchanged i.e. 10.10.0.100, the connection is working ok. Further when I change the SSID name the connection stops working and I have to reset the router and repeat the steps all over again but I am not moving forward! I have D-Link GLB-502T modem.

The blog you are using is assuming a desktop machine connected by LAN wire and wirelessly connected laptop/s. Since you are using only one machine (laptop), you will have to do all the initial setting which are to be done thru the desktop first, only then do whatever setting that are to be done on the laptop. SSID should be same for the router and computer else you will not get connected.
Also TCP/IP settings on your computer should be
http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=56440372qu3.jpg
1) Obtain an IP address automatically &
2) Use the following DNS server addresses even selecting 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' will work :)

I have activated the router (Iam using single machine) and I am to surf using wireless network, but on a unsecure network! The problem is arising in 'Wireless security' tab on the configuration page.I have tried WAP2. In the Network Key range I typed the alpha-numericrange that Windows Wireless Wizard had generated while setting up the wireless network, but when I save the settings the wireless network gets disconnected. And I have to reset the router and again run the set up! What steps should I take? Please suggest!

Congrats on going WiFi. Which OS are you using? From your description it seems like XP. I have not done a WiFi setup with a laptop on XP (I have Vista on my laptop) .
1) After the disconnection, does it refuse to connect again that you have to reset again?
2) Are you sure that your laptop supports WPA-PSK2 (In the Linksys WRT 54G its called WPA2 Personal)
3) Is it possible for you to enter your own password in the ‘Windows Wireless Wizard’, if so do that instead of using a system generated password (easier to remember for later use).
4)When you change the password it will disconnect. But you should be able to reconnect again.

After you do this successfully also do the other security measures mentioned in the blog, MAC filter, backup of settings. :)

Finally! I was able to set up the wireless network with WPA2 security.:)
Your blog has been of immense help, Thanks once again!

It took me 2 days to get a grasp on the wireless environment!
This time after resetting the setup I unplugged the Router and modem power plus the Ethernet cable from the laptop and accessed the configuration page through router to perform other changes.
The connection got disconnected but resumed automatically after some time!

As you guessed I am using WinXP as OS on the laptop.

Suppose if I have to add another machine on the network will it suffice if I add that machine's 'physical address' in the 'Wireless MAC filter'?

I had mentioned in one of my above posts that since you are using only one machine you have to connect first rhru LAN wire do the settings on the router then disconnect and do the rest on the laptop thru the wirless. :). Anyway alls well thats ends well. Since you have said that you have more than one laptop using your wifi then all their MAC's should be added in the MAC filter but also do the rest of the security procedures for the other laptops too.

Back