problems with mtnl fttc.

ISP
MTNL
i recently got a fttc connection installed which is provided via VDSL2.
the modem is argt 1040/argt 1000 (no wifi). the MDU is located hardly 200m from where i live, this means including all local loop length because where the MDU is installed is only 80-90m physically. like literally live opposite to the MDU. funny thing is, its installed in a police station :lol:
its a 24 port with 14 - 18 active connections i think total b/w is 2.5GBps for the 24 ports i guess
I'm having a lot of stability issues with the modem. ill list the problems i am facing :

1. argt has a problem of syncing to adsl if vdsl is not available, so many a times the modem syncs to adsl with atm mode. which results in no internet connectivity.
2. if the modem syncs to adsl with atm, dsl is stable. more or less, from the router log its apparent that the modem is able to detect a dsl signal from the MDU.
3. it takes a long time to sync sometimes, i have to reboot the router physically 4-6 times to make the internet work.
4. lineman came to check the line its perfectly fine, only modem is connected to the line naked.
5. I'm wondering if this is a problem from their side, or is there something wrong with the router its really frustrating to wait 5-10 or even 15-20 minutes every time to make the internet work.

statsadsl.webarchive - Google Drive
im uploading a webarchive? (I'm on a mac :( )
snr 6.4
attenuation 0
output power 14.1
downstream achievable 20mbps
downstream actual 10mbps

also i noticed one thing, i was once able to get the router to sync at 16mbps actual and i was actually getting almost 1.8MB/s meaning download speed is not capped, and the snr margin is used to control the download speed.

the mtnl guy told me the connection will not work properly for at least 10-15 days, which I'm wondering is due to dlm or something? ... but I'm not sure how that relates to not finding a vdsl server.

usually the log is :
xdsl g994 training
g993 training
vds2l link down
g992
g992 channel analysis
message received
adsl sync.

even if it does not sync with adsl, at least 3-4 times it tries and vdsl2 link is down.

edit :
so after going through the VDSL thread i decided to switch to only 8b and
ppp server detected
ppp session established
ppp lcp up
vdsl2 link down
xdsl g.994 train
vdsl g.993 train
vdsl2 link up
ppp server detected
-no working internet-

also i think mtnl is using DLM, because if you go to xdsl router stats you will find a delay there with inp. which is indicative of dlm.

edit :

mtnl delhi has published a new patch, ending with 88 the mtnl mumbai website has the 87. now vdsl is connecting instantly. at least that is what it seems. . router stats are still the same
currently on : B042_V47_GI-AP-00-88 7/14/2014
previously on : B042_V47_GI-AP-00-87

edit :

tried it twice, its connecting instantly. wow. mtnl .... these guys never cease to amaze me.

how to configure your modem :

1. mtnl delhi :

1. open 192.168.1.1
user is admin / pwd is admin
2. go to advanced setup -> layer2 interface ->ptm interface
3. add new-> just select Vlanmuxid. leave everything as is. save/apply and reboot router
4. go to advanced setup -> wan service -> add ->
5. in vlan8021p put "1" without ( " " )
6. in vlanmuxid put "100" without ( " " )
5. username = your dsl login no for ftth. example 12345678
6. pwd = provided with that no 0123456789 - 10digits
7. service name = HSI
7. click "enable full cone nat" -> in default gateway select "ppp0.1" i.e. this should be on the left side of the column.
8. enter dns server as 203.94.243.70 / 59.179.243.70 or which ever dns you prefer
9. click next till you reach the end. save/apply.
10. reboot modem.

to upgrade modem firmware make sure you are connected to modem and logged in
1.download B042_V47_GI-AP-00-88 from FTTH -> patch file.

go to management -> update software -> choose "B042_V47_GI-AP-00-88" -> upgrade.

important : leave the router untouched for at least 5 minutes till it reboots. then reboot again, and apply final settings.

edit:

as i said they never cease to amaze me, my joy was short-lived. it went into continuous training again and kablam adsl sync. but with 1 reboot its connecting just fine, lets hope this firmware patch actually changed something. will monitor and update this thread every day for a week.

edit :

there is a problem here, the modem shows my download speed at 11,000 kbps but on speed test I'm getting 7mbps max from vodafone delhi. upload speed is 1mbps = 100Kb/s. not sure wether this is a router issue or a server issue from mtnl..

line is stable and connecting with 1-2 retrains

getting solid 9.5-9.8 from voda mumbai

edit :
downloading from Apple app store, speed fluctuating all the way from 1.2MB/s to 231KB/s.. i don't want to live anymore.....

connecting instantly.

edit :

my TP-Link wr 740n gave out. thats why im getting slow speed. Everyone should update their argt modem to latest firmware. :thumbsup:

edit

8am. 3/10/2k14
facing various connection issues again, have to reboot modem via software to get a solid connection.

5:39pm 3/10/2k14

all is stable, connection is going well. going to reset router to default, reconfigure and test.

i get very stable vdsl link during night around 1-4am.

Last edited:
4/10/2k14

connection is stable. connecting fast not having synching problems since last night around 8.30 ish. reconnecting now @ 9.40 am.

this sucks. 4/10/2k14 10.49pm

having multiple synching issues. Can someone please guide me on how to put this modem on bridge mode? ill be using a Netgear wndr3400 behind it. Thanks

Dunno how VDSL works. But that's what would happen on ADSL because of poor SNR.

Afaik and according to what BSNL techs say, for ADSL, speed limits are set at two places. First is the port speed assigned in the DSLAM and the second is the profile speed for for your user account in the RADIUS server. This profile speed is what actually controls your speed.

A poor snr will automatically result in reduced port speeds with a disconnection each time it tried to sync at the set speed because of the fall in snr.

Back