• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 3,193

hitman

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Dravid regrets 4-foreigner cap - News - News - Times of India Cricket - IPL

NEW DELHI: It seems the cap on fielding only four foreign players in the IPL playing XI has not turned out to be a workable option for captains desperate to win every game. The ruling seems to be coming in for some criticism, especially with some franchisees, who have packed their sides with foreigners, feeling hampered having to bench quality cricketers.

At least two icon players have now openly expressed reservations about the stipulation, with Rahul Dravid following Team Mohali skipper Yuvraj Singh in voicing his ‘‘problems’’ trying to juggle options before every game. The Royal Challengers have notched up only a solitary win so far and captain Dravid said on Tuesday, ‘‘Selecting only four out of nine is a problem. It’s not easy for any captain. You need good players around. So you have to see in which area the local players are strong and then take a call.’’ His chief cricket officer, Martin Crowe, chose to couch it in different terms: ‘‘It’s difficult, but it’s one of the beauties of this competition. It keeps the mind ticking.’’

Days earlier, Yuvraj had expressed similar sentiments, going so far as to say he hoped the IPL governing council would look into the matter in future editions. The tournament so far has seen several big names from abroad, like Stephen Fleming, Daniel Vettori, Herschelle Gibbs and Simon Katich, among others, either mostly warming the benches or not getting a game at all. For some teams, it has come at the expense of a positive result.

Delhi Daredevils advisor TA Sekhar too said on Tuesday: ‘‘This problem (choosing foreign players) is same for all the franchisees. After the Aussies leave, I think only Chennai will not have this issue. We have to choose the best combination for the match. We cannot go by history or records but decide by combination what will win the match for us on a day.’’

The Aussies, West Indians and Kiwis might be scheduled to leave, but Dravid said, ‘‘Seeing the magnitude of this tournament, it would be nice if the ICC could create a window for the IPL if it doesn’t affect the Future Tours Programme so much.’’

If that works out in future, and top foreigners are available throughout the duration, any potential increase in the cap could come as bad news for the lesser-known domestic players, some of whom have risen to prominence over the last few days. But you can’t blame captains under pressure to win games for being dissatisfied with having to bench quality options.

and they were talking about using IPL to discover local talent.

As i said in other thread too ... Cap should be increased to atleast 6 players ... it still will give 40 Indian players a chance to compete ... right now there r too much of average players

^I agree with u ... Even I stated the same in other threads... Increase the foreign players to 6.... As the IPL goes into the next year, it ll be more interesting and competitive if the foreigners in a team is increased to six.. I dont find any problem with local players not getting the chance becoz still 5 players are selected from India..

Well & what if the 5 players are Zaheer, Dravid, Praveen, Joshi & Jaffer. What local talent will they unearth? Most teams have 3-4 existing Indian players - so that would basically leave 1-2 local players playing per team. The current format, I feel is just fine. The teams should be smart enough to plan horses for courses based on availability etc, Chennai for example left out Murali based on the pitch & even though allrounder Jacob Oram is leaving, Albie Morkel has just arrived in time. So even while bidding they should have planned properly . As per news in The Hindu newspaper, Rajasthan is least affected team in terms of losing players, which shows an example of proper planning in terms of player availability. Thats where the strategies and planning comes into picture rather than whining about not being able play more foreign players.

haha ,Metoo feel that way sometimes ,but that 4 player cap is too harsh on the captain.Anyway,for me IPL is just for entertainment and nothing else..hah .

its not too harsh on captain.every team has same restriction, 4 intl players, 2-3 well known indian players and 4 new players.

no one cares about the bowlers! they get hit for big shots. and even if they do well, there is little hope of them getting the man of the match award.

Yes next twenty20 we might see more all rounders.there will be like 3-4 all rounders per team

Poor Bowlers!Man of the match award is difficult to win as they get only 24 legal deliveries to show their performance.DLF maximum sixes - Again a batsman gets to win it..There is nothing in the IPl for the bowlers.They should have something like the maximum wickets, most economical, best catch, max sixes, man of the match.They should divide the 1 Lakh Dlf maximum sixes prize in 5 categories and award everybody..

Back