Reliance Communications breaks away from tariff metering tradition of Indian telecom industry

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 9,237
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a hole here:This new offering under Simply Reliance Initiative extends tariff-less benefit to:All Local callsAll STD callsTo any CDMA or GSM Mobile or Landline on any networkAnytime of the day or nightWithout any hidden charges or any conditions, whatsoever----------------------------------------------------------------------------------The new Simply Unlimited CDMA Offer is being offered with fair usage in mind to bonafide retail customers and not for commercial use. Both the Unlimited Packs are subject to Fair Usage condition of 30 mins/day (900 mins/month) applies to Offnet calls. Beyond 30 mins/day, these calls will be charged at 50 paisa / min----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Looks like a condition to me. Why not just say its a freakin' 900 minute/month plan??

coz they are freaking reliance. fair usage policy has become a widely used term today. remains to be seen when the government starts implementing it on breathing.

coz they are freaking reliance.

fair usage policy has become a widely used term today. remains to be seen when the government starts implementing it on breathing.

Well... while that might be one solution to India's population woes, it's not ideal.

IMO, if they all just said 900 minutes a month local anytime for Rs299 per month (or in the case of the national calling 900 minutes a month anywhere in India, anytime for Rs599 per month coming to Rs0.6655 per minute)... about 700 million people would go "hmm... that's actually Rs0.3322 per minute... pretty good deal... that's a little over 0.5ps/sec... which... wait wait... no no no no no... isn't that MORE expensive than the half-paisa plans?"

This is just stupid.

ah well you have a golden oppurtunity to show how it should be with hayai broadband. clear plans. clear billing. clear mode of payments. everything is clear :D

ah well you have a golden oppurtunity to show how it should be with hayai broadband. clear plans. clear billing. clear mode of payments. everything is clear :D

Touché.

Director Sir,they are offering 900 min offnet calls as well as 2700 onnet calls per month under 599 plan, so it becomes 3600 min i.e. 0.1663 per minute.correct me if I am wrong

Director Sir,
they are offering 900 min offnet calls as well as 2700 onnet calls per month under 599 plan, so it becomes 3600 min i.e. 0.1663 per minute.
correct me if I am wrong

It applies to both plans really, but it really depends who you are calling. The math doesn't quite work like as you've described. Basically speaking, Reliance doesn't pay itself termination charges so Reliance-Reliance calls have a much lower cost than Reliance-other networks, so the cost would probably be more like 499/900 minutes + 100/2700 minutes. Or so. I'm guessing.

It's like our Hayai Zone - we provide unlimited on-net transfers etc, and yes each GB does cost us a little money, but we cover that with the cost of the plan, because it's miniscule by comparison with the cost of bandwidth to the outside world.

As such, 2700 minutes on-net a month is fair enough, but not entirely useful in this situation as being able to call who the hell ever I want at any time. What if you're like me and only like 10 of the 400+ Indian contacts in my phone are on Reliance? I'm not going to be able to utilize much of that on-net airtime at all.

In addition, we must keep in mind that the 900 minutes a month for the off-net calls is *actually* only the sum of 30 days x 30 minutes a day FUP - you couldn't use those 900 minutes in 1 week, it has to be spread through the month.

For what it's worth, the vast majority of my contacts seem to be VF or Airtel. Why? I have no idea. I have 4 Indian SIM cards, none of them Reliance. Of course, that's just me. Why? Well, see above.

If on the other hand, you have *a lot* of contacts on Reliance and you plan on using 90-minutes a day on average talking to them, then this isn't a bad plan, and with 100,000,000+ subscribers, Reliance customers aren't short of choice when they're deciding who to talk to with their 2700 on-net minutes.

The point of my argument is this: they need to call a spade a spade. Instead of saying "UNLIMITED" when it's actually just "30-minutes a day of free calling to any phone in India", then they should just bloody say that.

I can't believe the advertising standards authority if there is such a thing allows this.

^^ This is not the first time Reliance comes forward with such gimmicks. I read somewhere that they were chided for advertising Netconnect as "India's fastest broadband service" !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back