Reliance Jio Fiber: Packet Loss and Stability Issues

• Thread starter Thread starter smashishere
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 4,065
ISP
Jio
Recently my internet has been quite unstable with packet loss, ping spikes and all that. I figured it might just be an issue around my location but today I was in a valorant match where people in the lobby told me that their jio connection has been unstable as well lately, can anybody else share their recent experience regarding this?

You can checkout this thread for more information

It may be a coincidence that their Internet is also shitting at the same time as yours.
Please run 'ping 1.1.1.1 -t 300' in your command prompt/terminal and post results here.

@smashishere had a similar issue a week back, also upload speed dropped to < 1mbps.
I raised the complaint and the next day, the technician mentioned it was due to increased power. My ONU was getting -26 dB power.
He fixed something on the Junction box which is next to my apartment building and fixed the ONU connector.

Yes, its been over 2 months for me. Really fed up with jiofiber. Technician don’t understand what packet loss and latency increase is, so have stopped using it as my primary isp.

I don't face packet loss all the time but it does happens at times, but only in certain matches, especially in the ones where my ping is really high. And apart from this, it happens when there is some bandwidth usage going on (multiple FHD video streaming) due to shitty QoS of their router and probably their infrastucture as well. I also have ping spikes when this happens though. I kinda fixed it by using my own router, still it suffers when there is high bandwidth usage though.

If you're facing it quite often or all the time then there must be something wrong with your connection.

@Zuke you are a victim of their high loaded latency. This problem is present across the country. I am testing Jio Fiber since last 15 days and I pretty much agree to you. I'd say the connection is decent for casual streaming and browsing but nothing more than that. I was planning to post a detailed review but it's too early to say anything. I am on the 150 Mbps plan btw(paid for 3 months).
The problem is not only in the ONT but deep rooted in the infra as well.
My parents are happy with the supplied set top box, good for them ig. It's decent as a backup connection to Airtel for casual usage but it's too early to give a verdict. I will try to post a long term review of 3 months of usage as a backup connection once the billing cycle ends. Strictly not recommended for gaming,WFH or any other low latency tasks.

@rajat_ True, it is great for casual users. Their downtimes is insanely low, I have only faced some slow speed at times but no disconnections yet. And my friends who have been using it since 2021 have not experienced any disconnections till now.

Gaming feels kinda shit at times, but it is the best possible ISP available in my area.

@rajat_ well said ! Exactly ! It is suitable for most of the users who are not doing any gaming or latency related tasks. My parents are pretty happy with the connection and their set top box as there is no downtime. But for me, i play a lot of games on my xbox. Ping gets very bad when my parents use tv for streaming. I'm getting bufferbloat rank C. Sometimes, when I play multiplayer games while watching twitch or YouTube stream, it gets very bad. There will be alot of ping spikes. I will pretty soon change my isp to Airtel or BSNL fiber.

Back