Reliance Jio Fiber Router are broadcasting hidden SSID even when Wi-Fi is disabled

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 42,168
@Techtips Finally, someone else having this hotspot issue as well. I am facing it on 2.4 Ghz band only. All my devices detect it as mobile hotspot and data saver mode kicks in. Need to give permission every time i download a large file . YouTube doesn't play videos beyond 480p on 2.4 Ghz.

@mate 2.4Ghz band for me too. As a temporary fix set the wifi as "Treat as unmetered" in Android WiFi settings (Talking about stock android not sure about others)

Attachments

• nexus2cee_2018-03-08-12.53.16.webp
    nexus2cee_2018-03-08-12.53.16.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 433
(purely speculation, please feel free to correct, copy pasting my comment from reddit. )

ISPs like comcast, ATT already do this in US. They use WiFi APs, they provided to their customers to create another network that other people can connect to, Depending on some arrangement. Any data received/sent by other users is not included in the quota of the connection under which that router is operating. IIUC, Those ISPs in US give you an option to disable that network if you like. It would be nice to have that option.

Ideally, Any one who connects to that hidden network should be on a different vlan and shouldnt be able to access any of the resources on your home network.

See this, What Jio is doing is taking a page from ISPs in US and leveraging devices they provided to their customers to increase range if their own network.

Source

Was thinking the same. Jio really likes copying the us for some reason. The throttled uploads earlier, the locked down router, and now public WiFi draw a neat parallel to all the major US broadband providers

This is not good at all. If I want to disable WIFI I should be able to do so without having any hidden network beaming out of the router. Is there any way to disable this?

If there isn't. I guess I'll have to change my ISP. Reliance knows how to take a great product and ruin it in some way or another.

Even startup times for the router is a pain.Takes upto 15 to 20 minutes to get a connection. And fiber is supposed to be faster than adsl.

Anyways.Thanks guys for the clarification.

@Dominic AFAIK, There is no option to disable it yet. Maybe if enough people complain they'll add an option to disable it.

If you have other options(and you arent a complete normie who uses internet just to watch stuff, chat etc i.e. simple stuff) Choosing Jio doesnt makes any sense. Checkout other options you have, The plans may not be as attractive as Jio but atleast you'll get better service and wont be supporting Jio's garbage practice of killing competition with low prices and then jacking them up when they have big enough customer base.
I dont have any options for fiber here but from what I have read, There at least 5-6 things Jio does that'll be a turnoff for me...

Maybe you should dig in the telnet or SSH side of the router (if Jio router has ports open) and identify the individual Hidden Wifi Interface and then turn it off . That said , it can still restart after you reboot of your router

Something is seriously wrong with the latest firmware. Was 2-3 mins but when I restarted last night took nearly 30 mins for me. Same today morning...

Back