Reliance Jio is blocking PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN

• Thread starter Thread starter tatyasky
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 53
  • Views Views 11,775
I'm not sure what's profitable over doing this..
Blocking access to a portion of the internet is a way to offer up that portion packaged in a nice fat subscription later on by the company that blocked it in the first place. It's basic market tactics.

Wait for a while. You'll see Jio offering their own "secure" "Desi" "made in India for the world" VPN service. It's a matter of time before large popular applications are banned and replaced with "sanskaari" alternatives. Koo is just the start.

I'm not sure what's profitable over doing this.. @pillaicha
They will save a lot of bandwidth as VPNs are mostly used by power users who seed a lot of Linux ISOs and those who don't want their traffic get throttled(Jio throttles speed of many popular sites like twitch,reddit, telegram,etc). Need to switch to Airtel or BSNL ASAP. Warp, PIA and ProtonVPN Wireguard are not working for me.

Jio operates it's own network and doesn't really pay much in terms of transit charges, so i doubt they saving much by blocking.

They are saving by saving the bandwidth , or say preventing investment in improving capacity.

transit charges
Their Jio 4G network has huge amount of users and they sure will clog up the bandwidth and another reason is that they hate piracy to the core. Their sister company (Viacom 18) was the key driver for arrest of ThopTV owner. They will obviously not like piracy on their own network.

Edit : forgot to type owner.

Back