Reliance Jio on a Mac (slow USB tethering on some Lyf phones)

• Thread starter Thread starter 7qowciQq
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 5,763
Hi guys,

This is my first post and am glad to be here :) I've been waiting eagerly for Reliance Jio 4G to launch. I don't need another phone but was interested in tethering it to my Mac (running OS X 10.11.5). I had heard that the WiFi hotspot on the Lyf phones works very poorly and so when my friend got his Lyf Wind 5 phone over I tethered it via USB. The Mac doesn't come with the required drivers and so I installed the HoRNDIS driver (I had to use the rel8pre2 release as that is the only one that works with OS X El Capitan. There are details about this in the comments section of the link I've posted). The connection worked flawlessly and I got speeds around 35 Mbps.

As a result of this great experience I went and got myself a Jio connection too. Since I was interested only in tethering the phone, I bought the cheapo Flame 6 Lyf phone at the incredible price of Rs 3000 and got the 3 month preview offer. However, the USB tethering speeds are awful. I am getting a paltry 2 Mbps. I think this might have something to do with the aforementioned HoRNDIS driver but am not sure.

I've also ordered a TP-Link TL-MR3020 4G router in the hope of connecting the phone to it to create a WiFi hotspot that actually works. The router works with 3G/4G dongles but am not sure if it would work with a Lyf phone. Is it worth a try?

It would be great to hear from the community here.

First check which Band your phone connects to..
If you connect to 850Mhz then the speeds are likely to remain that way.
Try speedtest,youtube and torrents see what speeds are you getting..

Back