Reliance Jio to introduce 4G Powered Free Wi-fi across Kolkata

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel
Reliance Jio Infocomm will be introducing 4G-enabled free Wi-Fi service across Kolkata within the next two months, reports The Telegraph. From February 5 free Wi-Fi service will be provided to citizens in Park Street and the surrounding areas like Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Road, Loudon Street, Russell Street and Little Russell Street. All 145 municipal wards of the city will be covered over the next two months.

Source

I'm happy they are arriving in my city, excited to see what will be their offering in both data and video.

What is the meaning of 4G powered wi-fi?

Will they install routers all over the city that are not connected using a fiber optic cable for backhaul and instead they will be using 4G wireless network for backhaul?

I dont think they will use towers for that , if they do all network including mobile connection in 4G will be down when they launch.

4G is just the usual marketing gimmick. Backhaul has to be OFC considering how large their inter city OFC network is.

It is clearly a test launch (source: today's telegraph), and it will cease to be free by the end of the year. I thus do not understand what is the role of the chief minister in launching a test 4g service and claiming we are now a digital city ?

Back