Reliance Jio Wi-Fi Calling (VoWiFi) launched officially

Google and Open DNS and Cloudflare DNS have many servers across world and India also they have many servers in major cities. Hence you 99% always latch to the Indian servers of these revolvers. Also they are more secured as they use dnssec and may protect against malicious websites too.
Plus they support for ipv6. I know MTNL dns servers are not dnssec compatible and occationally get error on firefox which checks the DNSSec for added security.

Jio VoWiFi has been a case of hit-or-miss for me and mostly miss. I believe that it has got to do something with DNS resolvers needing to be situated in India. Earlier I was on DNSWatch and VoWiFi would never work with that resolver. Now I use OpenDNS as my primary and Google Public DNS as my secondary resolver. Sometimes it latches to WiFi calling a few seconds after WiFi has been turned on and sometimes it does not work at all.

Though OpenDNS and Google DNS connects to nodes in India, they also have nodes in Singapore, Hong Kong, Italy, US and Canada that are simultaneously being connected to which is probably why Jio fails to establish WiFi Calling at times.

I have also seen it work flawlessly for many hours but the moment I am disconnected and reconnected to WiFi, its gone! Although restaring the device does the trick most of the time, who really wants to restart their phone every time they lose WiFi?

Getting it to latch while in Airplane Mode is next to impossible. This is what I want the most out of the VoWifi feature but it only works like one out of ten times, that too when I am lucky. 🙄

Last edited:
Jio has started this DNS Policy for Geo-Location Based Traffic Management recently and hence all international DNS do not work properly if they latch to outside India for some reason.

If you use a hotspot say Vodafone, it uses a ipv6 DNS64 recently (if you have APN set to IPV6 / IPV4) and the traffic is routed from India to outside India and comes back to India, so JioWifi fails.

Only best option to use Jio Wifi is to use a ISP India based DNS (Both primary & secondary). If you are confident if the Opendns will not latch you outside India than only use it. In Mumbai, mostly I am connected to their Mumbai server.

try to set the vodafone hotspot apn to only ipv4

Last edited:
Source
Hey everyone,

We are starting to push the incremental rollout of OxygenOS 10.3.3 for OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T.

Changelog
  • System
    • Fixed the issue with a black screen randomly appearing while playing games
    • Updated GMS package to 2020.02
    • Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.04
    • Improved system stability and fixed general bugs
  • Network updates
    • Integrated VoLTE & VoWifi support for Telenor - Denmark
    • Integrated VoWifi support for RJIO - India
  • Cloud Sync updates [India only]
    • Updated the CloudService to Version 2.0
Finally, Jio VoWiFi on OnePlus 6/6T.

Source
Hey everyone,

We are starting to push the incremental rollout of OxygenOS 10.3.3 for OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T.

Changelog
  • System
    • Fixed the issue with a black screen randomly appearing while playing games
    • Updated GMS package to 2020.02
    • Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.04
    • Improved system stability and fixed general bugs
  • Network updates
    • Integrated VoLTE & VoWifi support for Telenor - Denmark
    • Integrated VoWifi support for RJIO - India
  • Cloud Sync updates [India only]
    • Updated the CloudService to Version 2.0
Finally, Jio VoWiFi on OnePlus 6/6T.

🎉

Hi all,
I did some tests of bandwidth Vowifi uses.
The Jio Vowifi uses approx 50kbps download when you hear other party speak & vice versa.
When other party speaks, the data is downloaded and when you speak the data is uploaded which was visibly seen...
The voice quality was decent with may be very little lag.

If anyone has done such experiments do let us know. My query is that is 50kbps max or can it still go higher? if yes, how much max do vvowifi uses.
My test was on a zte wd670 unlocked hotspot with vodafone sim(ipv4 only). average up/dl is around 2mbps in that hotspot.

Back