• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,335

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/223016-sachin-tendulkar-sourav-ganguly-to-own-teams-in-indian-super-league-football

Former cricket captains Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly will own teams in the much-awaited Indian Super League (ISL) football tournament. Tendulkar, along with PVP Ventures bagged the Kochi franchise, while Ganguly successfully bid for Kolkata, which he will jointly own with Harshavardhan Neotia, La Liga giants Atletico Madrid, Sanjeev Goenka and Utsav Parekh.
Sun TV, which also owns Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Sunrisers Hyderabad, got the Bangalore franchise. Sameer Manchanda led Den Network will own Delhi while Videocon's Venugopal Dhoot, Dattaraj Salgaocar and Shrinivas V. Dempo will co-own Goa. Bollywood star John Abraham and I-League team Shillong Lajong bagged the Guwahati franchise. Ranbir Kapoor and Bimal Parekh made a successful bid for Mumbai and Salman Khan together with Kapil Wadhawan and Dheeraj Wadhawan of the Wadhawan Group will own Pune.

Hmm... I never knew that there was an IPL for football.

Football for indians is like golf to americans. It's a sport for the rich people. The only way you can get indians to watch football is if harbhajan singh or virat kohli joined the team as players.

sachins said:
Football for indians is like golf to americans. It's a sport for the rich people.
That analogy is wrong on so many levels. In West Bengal, Goa, Kerala and most of the NE states, it is the most popular game in the state.

I am from AP, from a small place (District HQ)
Our main sports in school were football and handball, all my school life I used to play on average of 4 hours of football per day!
It was the same for all other schools in 90s, its still popular over there
Its just that it does not have the kind of money and parents dont push their kids in the game.
Hope this IFL is step in the right direction

We also have a league of extraordinary gentlemen, i.e. our politicians..

Back