Seeking help for wireless modem router (WAG54G2)

• Thread starter Thread starter theoneman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 4,108

theoneman

ISP
bsnl
Hi Guys,

I have bought Linksys (Cisco) wireless modem router WAG54G2 and replaced my BSNL provided modem with it. Its working flawlessly. I can connect to the Internet perfectly both from my desktop PC, through the wired port and from my mobile phone (Nokia 5800), through WLAN.

However, the problem is the lack of security. When I connect from my mobile through the WLAN, no password is asked and connects directly to the Internet (Also, from my PC I don't need to dial a connection, as I had to do with the BSNL provided modem). Hence I can assume that anyone nearby having a wifi device can connect to the Internet using my connection since it does not prompt for a password. I am completely at a loss (And I am not good at the networking stuffs)

Now, let me explain how I configured these.
1. Go to the router: http://192.168.1.1/ using the admin account and password

2. Go to Setup -> Basic Setup (The start page)

3. Change Encapsulation: RFC2516PPPoE (This is the only PPPoE option)

4. Provided username and password of my BSNL connection. (You have to provide it if you are using PPPoE. Otherwise it won't let you save the changes)

5. Selected "Keep Alive" (Always ON) option. (If I select the other option "Connect on Demand", the connection does not work).

6. Go to Security tab: and select Disable for "SPI Firewall Protection" (If I enable it, the connection does not work)

7. "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" option is already checked.

So thts how I am in this situation now. Please could anyone help me change the settings of the router so that if I try to connect to it through a wi-fi enabled device (In this case its my Nokia 5800 mobile), it would ask for a username and password (Or at least it should recognise my mobile and block any other wi-fi device). Additionally, it would also be helpful if anyone can advice me how to change the configuration so that from PC I have to dial the connection (like I had to do with the previous modem).

Regards.

1.if I try to connect to it (*INTERNET) through a wi-fi enabled device (In this case its my Nokia 5800 mobile), it would ask for a username and password

You cannot connect to Internet
with your mobile dialing the USERID and password allotted to you by ISP.
2.it (* WAg54G2)should recognise my mobile and block any other wi-fi device

You have not used security code WEP or WPA/TKIP. in your WIFI router.

No idea whether MAC address of your phone can be entered in the WIFI router.

4. Dialer mode.
Save present settings of your router to say C:/MY Documents/ Linksys Always ON settings.
You have to select "Bridged" mode. Not advisable/needed, if you are not sure.