Setting up new MTNL connection (DSL2640T)

• Thread starter Thread starter parthapain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,392

parthapain

ISP
MTNL
Hi,I have recently applied for a new broadband connection from MTNL (NU 849)Knowing MTNL's reputation for bad service, i dont expect it to be setup very soon. I already have a wirleless router (D-Link) DSL2640T with me. I would like to know as to whether i can go ahead and do the setup following the instructions given in this forum, without waiting for the lineman to come in. (Or is there is some mandatory activation required from the MTNL server end)Secondly, can someone advice where i can get a splitter. I have the read on this forum that it can be useful to have one. Do i get one from a regular computer store, or do normal hardware stores stock it.Thanks for the help.

Mostly the MTNL guys will there within 2 weeks, but depends on your exchange. Your analog phone line will be changed to digital (ADSL) line from the exchange first, this is done from the exchange and after that only they will come.

What you can do is connect your telephone line to to your router and see if the ADSL line comes online, then u can configure ur router yourself and start using. Only problem is that, your telephone number should be there in the server database to log u in, if they delay it, then u cant connect. Anyway its worth a try... :)

rEALx

Take your time, before time takes you....

MTNL would have to enable ADSL on your line first. only after that would you be able to connect. when did you apply for the connection? did they say anything about waiting period of around 2 months? quite a few exchanges in mumbai dont have ports available, hence the waiting period. if they didnt mention it, i suppose they would come soon.

I have applied for the connection last week. Yeah i think there is a waiting period for about a month. Any idea whats the waiting period at the Vashi, Navi Mumbai exchange?

hey your so nearby! :pyeah its around 1-2 months here in vashi too. :(

@members/parthapain/
can someone advice where i can get a splitter.
usually computer spares dealer/s. cost around Rs 50/=
Electrical dealer/s will give you telephone splitters. ( 2,3 4 lines etc )
Try In Mumbai, Maxcom Electronics on Chunan Lane (off Lamington Road) is one place where you can buy adsl splitters.

Hey,Thanks for your replies. Been of great help.I have one more question:PPresently i have a cable net connection (24 Online ISP) . I have a pc and a laptop available at my residence. Is there any way i can share the single lan connection between the two other than using a switch. Maybe someone can direct me to some site/page on it.Thanks

Back