Sharing MTNL Triband Broadband on multiple computers with wi-fi connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter scotyard
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 154
  • Views Views 47,930
i have a problem with my Linksys WRT54G wireless router which i'm using with my sify connection. it works properly but the problem is of slow speeds, i.e. on my connection of 256 kbps, i get only 128 - 192 kbps (on my desktop which is connected by a cable from the router)while if i connect my sify cable directly to my lan card, i will get 256 kbps. does anyone else face the same problem??

Hi guys,I am shifting from TATA Indicom broadband to MTNL DSU 849 NU. I am already owning an Netgear WGR614 wireless router.Just wondering should I go in for the Normal ADSL or wireless ADSL Modem provided by MTNL. I want to have wireless connectivity , I am not sure if I can connect the normal ADSL modem into the netgear wireless router to enjoy wireless services on multiple computers. Thanks and eagerly awaiting for some replies. Ron

@ron Welcome to Broadbandforum.inIf MTNL provides a wireless modem on rent , try it for a month, andset up your own Netgear later.. Should not be any problem, and forum is there to help you out. Any way unless the net gear unit can be directly connected to the telephone line direct or via a splitter, you need an adsl modem..Google netgear WGR614 modem for details.What is the modem TATA provided ? rented or purchased ?

hi essbebe,Thanks for your prompt reply.TATA INDICOM did not provide any modem or any other equipment apart from the cable which is meant to be connected directly to the computer or to the Netgear WGR614.I believe rasspppoe was used to set up the dial up on the computer. Netgear WGR614 router was purchased by me essentialy for wireless connectivity to be shared between multiple computers. I am wary of MTNL because of its reputation for arbitrary handling of its after sales issues. Will be running threough the posts again to find some common situations regarding the probable setup of netgear with MTNL . Thanks for your help .Ron.

hi essbebe,I will be pursuing the matter for buying a Netgear ADSL2 modem.unfortunately just learnt yesterday that MTNL has a backlog of orders of 6 months of setting up broadband connections ,hence my plans have taken a backseat. I do have some amateur queries on internet setup , would love to read your replies. Can I send u a PM ?thanks again,Ron

@ron
You are welcome. In the meantime get a dialup connection.
You need not run to cyber cafe or friend's house.
MTNL Services
About Rs 550/= ( 100Hours for one /two years is not a bad bargain.
Of course it is snailband 2 to 4 KB/sec )
Lot of Information in above web site.regarding Internet. Hope most of your doubts will
be cleared.

PS: Anyone else having MTNL BB service in your flat complex or near your house ?

Hi Essbebe,Thanks for your continual efforts to help me.I haven't located anyone with a MTNL broadband yet .For the time being TATA indicom has resumed its services,but their lackisdical attitude has prompted me to avail for MTNL triband services.I will be sending you a PM hopefully by this weekend after I locate an MTNL triband user. warm regardsRon:)

Hi,
I bought a Linksys WRT54G ver 7.00.1 wireless router yesterday, connected & ran the CD & the wizard, but the setup failed. I use a D-Link DSL 502T broadband modem. J
I went thru the setup instructions given by Max but I am stuck at the point where I have to change the IP range (I think the layout on this ver is a bit different).
Can anyone help

Thanks

Socrates

Back