Sharing MTNL Triband Broadband on multiple computers with wi-fi connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter scotyard
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 154
  • Views Views 47,934
Try the modem first. Are you able to connect to Internet. ?
Then try the WRT54G.
Presume MAX is a service provider.
D-Link Settings for Broadband

Select auto assign IP DNS in your computer. TCP/IP properties.

Oops I guess I was a bit hasty in the posting. I had made a small mistake which I have rectified & got the MTNL broadband connection working for both the desktop & laptop. Thanks 'essbebe' for helping me :)

Just last week I installed a Linksys wireless router WRT54G firmware ver 7.00.1, (cost Rs 2450 w/3 yr warranty) to be used in conjunction with my existing D-Link 502T which I have been using from Dec 2005. If you are interested check out
Socrates?s experience: Configuring the D-Link 502T router for MTNL Broadband Do it yourself
Socrates?s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router
Incidentally Netgear WGR 614 costs Rs 1900 w/2 yr warranty &
D-Link DI 524 costs Rs 2350 w/1 yr warranty :) @ Lamington Rd Mumbai
Socrates J

Ok...so wic 1 is better...Linksys, Netgear or D-Link..... Also I wanted to ask abt the range.....Netgear WGR614 n D Link DI 524 r avhing range of 100m indoors...plz corect me if im wrong....wat abt the range of Linksys WRT54G?? n will the range get affected due to closed doors or walls??? n i hope all the routers r havin internal connectivity...i.e, i shud b able to connect n share data from my PC to Laptop.... Plz suggest....

The range of Linksys WRT54G is 100 feet not meters as also Netgear WGR614, I think its the same with D-Link. Reviews I read on Cnet on these routers are all 2003-2004 vintage and the best indoor range for Linksys was 76 feet. What range you will get in your environment is difficult to judge as its still an inaccurate science even for experts. Apart from the price also look at the warranty you get.

heh i wish it was 100 meters. i cant even work on the ground floor with the router placed in the basement :(

Concrete slabs will play spoilsport with pretty much any radio signal.So connections across floors wold be difficult I guess. Unless you install a cheap router as repeater.

i have got wiring on the ground floor too. have no idea how to get connectivity on the ground floor with the modem in the basement :P

Back