• Thread starter Thread starter bhojv74
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 1,780

bhojv74

Regular
ISP
JIO Fttx / Hathway
Last week when I was travelling, my home network was struck by thunder lighting which below all my ethernet connected devices, which includes Alix/pfsense router, Airtel ADSL modem, 2x 8p switches, Home security cloud camera, Gigabyte motherboard and electrical monitoring devices. None of the devices power circuit or adapter got effected, as mostly all of them were connected to a UPS. For example, the PC's ethernet port no longer works and win 8 lost its activation, do not know how it lost the activation, besides that it stills boot & works fine. Other devices does power up but either malfunctions or do not respond. Never happened before with only Airtel ADSL connection, I guess the culprit was Alliance connection which is basically a cat5 cables dangling outside aerially. Upon changing the router I found the airtel link still working but the Alliance was down, they took 3 days to repair the line. Thus in my opinion their last mile connectivity is very unsecured and risky.

I've already bought TP-Link TL-R470T+ load balancing router, and TPlink AP, switches etc. I'm looking forward to ground & secure both my wan connections, maybe using a RJ45/RJ11 signal lighting arrestor. However I was unable to find one with Indian online stores. Has anyone used any such devices to ground the connections ?

looks like you need something like an Ethernet Surge Protectors. some power strips come with this feature. ebay should have it as well.

do check if it is a gigabit port. when i googled most products were 10/100mbps only. might make sense to go for a dedicated solution that is compact in size?

by the way you have chosen a very very informative name "Signal Lighting Arrestor" :)

do check if it is a gigabit port. when i googled most products were 10/100mbps only. might make sense to go for a dedicated solution that is compact in size?

Since the incoming lines shall never go beyond 100 mbps, I guess would not need gigabit for next 3-4 years.

by the way you have chosen a very very informative name "Signal Lighting Arrestor" :)

Lol, that is because I was refering to both the signal lines, RJ45 & RJ11.

Yes. I think a surge protector with Ethernet port should be good enough. Couldn't find any gigabit ones. Amazon has these LRS01-E100 Aluminum Casing RJ45 Port Ethernet Network Surge Protector:Amazon:Electronics

Umm, these has dedicated ground connectors for which I'll have to run a separate ground wire to the cabinet. Besides, the Belkin one seems to have gas tube based projection for ethernet, it also has RJ11, so protects both the lines with single cost. Quality wise looks decent.

EDIT: Just realized that the ethernet port of the WDTV got burnt too. Need to find some solution now with the raspberry pi I've lying unused.

reminds of the case of the guy whose sify broadband ethernet cable was bringing in rain water to his laptop. there was a video. i wonder if i can find that.

Back