Simplifying the way people access/use Internet in India

• Thread starter Thread starter parthsuthar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 5,646

parthsuthar

ISP
1Mbps
This is the beginning of the age of Unified communication and computing.

With the beginning of this age, comes the problem of a plethora of available devices and gadgets in the Indian market. Early adopters of technology or people like you and me, can sail through the ever expanding and overly crowded market of communication and computing devices. In this market of emerging technologies, the ones which get completely lost and ignored are people like my mom and dad. People who are completely ignorant about these new developments and are apprehensive to adapt to these new technologies/devices. To learn and to adopt!

Here's a list of problems why they (my mom and dad) don't access PC/Internet -
1. Current PC/computers are not user-friendly at all.
2. Its cumbersome to install a pc, make necessary changes in the domestic environment
3. Learn english to use windows/mac/linux/firefox etc.
4. Lack of simple applications to watch videos, listen to devotional songs etc. The way they can simply put a cassette in their player or tune in to a radio. I mean even they want to watch videos and listen to songs of their times. Everyone gets nostalgic!
5. Lack of user friendly interface/services to pay bills, order goods, check new restaurants etc.
6. Lack of any device which is as simple as switching on a TV or calling from a landline home phone.
7. Infact, what the heck!! Why should they learn new technologies?? New technologies should just integrate into their existing appliances and make it more smarter..It shouldn't be a device or a gadget. It should be a appliance!

-
I remember these lines from a presentation -
People are busy.
People have very limited attention span.
People don't care about technology!
People shouldn’t need to care about technology!!

Good technology is largely invisible — it blends in and enhances without encumbering.

-
After discussing with a lot of families and hearing out their frustrations, I have embarked on a journey to bring a multipurpose appliance with the simplicty of a home phone with benefits of personal computing, communication and entertainment device for the families.

This appliance is in essence a Plug and Play, Simple, Always-on, One-touch access to variety of content and services at your fingertips.

Here's a list of some of content/services you can access through this appliance -
a. Communication - Telephony, VOIP, Text and Voice emails
b. Home utility - Paying bills, Ordering groceries, Ticket bookings etc.
c. Entertainment - Watching movies, Youtube videos, Cinema listings, Games, Internet radio, Playing Mp3s, Divx
d. Information - News, Stock, Astrology, Cricket score, Recipes, City guides, Maps, Job search, Matrimonial search
e. Personal - Calendars, Reminders, ToDos
f. Devotional - Prayers, Virtual yatra, Talks/Speeches, Songs
and many more...

Some of the key factors of this appliance-
- Portable, easy to configure and use
- Simple interactive interface with low learning curve
- Complements a TV, PC and a Phone
- Vernacular language supported
- Connect it with TV
and many more..

Content/services will be opened up to third party developers and so on..

-

I am in the process of prototyping this and secure funding to scale it up and do a test run..Its a long shot but I am game for it!!

This is completely out of my passion for bringing a user friendly, simple, easy to use, convenient appliance for the Indian masses..For people above 35 years who don't have access to PC/Internet..

Please share your views/opinions and would appreciate any kind of support in this journey...

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Parth

o_0o^0...//Nice... Lets see how this one turns up. Great idea though!!

Parth and I have had a few Skype discussions about this and I quite like the idea. I can forsee a lot of use for such a device not just for the older generation but for the "have-nots". The things that it will have to feature are always-on/instant-on and relatively inexpensive (not more than 5k or 10k), which probably limits us to a 7-10" screen... the thing then would be the keyboard - QWERTY is probably not sufficient here.Other than that, the other main issue is probably connectivity (to the net) - that may have to be solved either by GPRS or WiMax depending on location etc - but I'm sure it would be something for us to work out later.Bearing in mind that I don't have any idea what Parth has come up with, but I'm envisioning something like a tablet-PC containing a touchscreen and a UI not too different from Sugar or Ubuntu Netbook Remix, with a base-language of Hindi or perhaps localized even further (Tamil, Malyalam, Bengali, Urdu etc).Otherwise, I do quite like this idea. I wouldn't object to co-operating in some way, shape or form.

How much would such an appliance cost?

should be cheaper than regular computers. i had expect such a device to sell for less than 20K.

Back