Slow download speeds on 1gbps plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in 2020 airtel do switched me to 1 gbps plan and speed was 950 mbps up/down and i used it for couple of months.

so its 2023 I believe and airtel is not competent enough to enable 1 gbps in my area when i want it again. So clearly they did not upgraded band with in my locality. Sigh!

How will they upgrade bandwidth?
Its the standard GPON limitation, they cant do anything more than 2.4Gb/s, that too in a very special case.

Interestingly on static ip my speed never went above 500 mbps. Mostly i hovered between 300-400 mbps. So more users in my area and let bandwidth

I think they are reluctant because 5G has increased the usage on their backhaul significantly.
And they have also recently increased the rates for their IP transit.

Or this just might be some internal "process issue"

You were actually on DEL BNG, static IP BNG is quite congested. 122.161.47.255 is the IP of that BNG.

@Vibhu can’t they add more OLT’s ? Don’t know how but if they upgrade their equipment they should be able to provide it.

@albonycal 5g is slow as well. Never got more than 200mbps on 5g and that too on terrace. If i go to one room or move to other 5g drops speed.

jio fiber on other hand is able to provide me 1 gbps and speed on jio 5g is 700 mbps to 1 gbps as well

@Rickysin they can add more OLTs, but they will have to restructure the cabling.
Also, most of the time its not the OLT which is saturated, its the BNG you are connected to is.
And yes Airtel seriously needs to add more gateways, considering the demand of bandwidth has increased in recent times.
Also, airtel does not have dedicated bandwidth for 5G, all of the data we use over 5G or Fiber, goes through the same route till some extent, that causes congestion(ping spikes and unstable download speeds hovers to and fro).

While I agree that they need to add more gateways, I don't think their existing ones are bottlenecked. It's quite easy to upgrade capacity on these centralized BNGs compared with doing that for an OLT in some area.
So the lastmile is the bottleneck.

I think their OLT generally have a 10G link from the airtel switch to them, just need to upgrade the optics to increase the capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back