Slow internet speed on Airtel V-Fiber Broadband connecting to servers outside my city

@anon_airtel_user I tried the same New York and Washington Servers you did and I am getting in the neighbourhood of 30 Mbps Down speed on both. But in the screenshot you are getting 60000+ Kbps, that is not possible if you are on 40 Mbps because that would higher than the attainable rate set by profile, or maybe just an error.
An Airtel engineer who after so many visits at my home is like a casual acquaintance of mine said himself that the Beetle Router they provide is sub par and Airtel has discontinued to provide Huawei ones because Bettle costs them ₹ 200. And he said that he can tell this to me only off record that Airtel might have blocked some NAT ports to throttle torrents. There is no point in raising requests because I have had the appelate authority at my house and all they do is show speed on Speedtest and Microsoft downloads.

Last edited:
@anon_airtel_user I did not have this problem on my ADSL 16 Mbps connection, for a month it did have problems but it was resolved on its own.So maybe this is due to V-Fiber being new and ports/routing has not been done properly yet. Anyways, I am planning on shifting to ACT now. My college server is P2P based and cannot work with this.
Is it necessary to enable UPnP in router for torrents? It is disabled by default, I know little about it.

@anon_airtel_user But in the screenshot you are getting 60000+ Kbps, that is not possible if you are on 40 Mbps because that would higher than the attainable rate set by profile, or maybe just an error.

60Mbps sync rate is very much possible and isn't that much of an issue here, his other parameters are well within acceptable limits. Airtel sets 40Mbps customers to ~60Mbps line rate. The thing with V/ADSL is the sync rate which is the line rate must be higher than the actual speed you are setup for on your plan or else you will get slower speeds.

@anon_airtel_user Sure thing!

I get similar traceroute to google.com and the latency is 8 ms average.

Speedtest to Chennai server -
6436350551.png

Mumbai
6436360316.png

Delhi
6436356936.png

Washington DC
6436368503.png

New York
6436378041.png

This is beyond the local teams control I guess. Just specifically ask for a backend engineer to contact you and possibly he could understand your problem and do something about it. Threatening with disconnection usually works in this type of situation so you might as well try that if nothing seems to go your way.

Agreed, very much a backend issue as the speeds you get from local servers are quite normal. This requires the intervention of someone who actually knows what they are doing. The modem change is just a shot in the dark, you never know.

60Mbps sync rate is very much possible and isn't that much of an issue here, his other parameters are well within acceptable limits. Airtel sets 40Mbps customers to ~60Mbps line rate. The thing with V/ADSL is the sync rate which is the line rate must be higher than the actual speed you are setup for on your plan or else you will get slower speeds.
Obviously the line rate must be higher, but in the screenshot the actual speed is being displayed. I have the same router, thus I can confirm that it is displaying speed, line rate is displayed on another page. And also the engineer who set up my connection, showed me their National Configuration Portal and the line rate is set to 46000 Max for all cities having the 40 Mbps plan.
I am gonna threaten to disconnect now to get the ports fixed. Does UPnp enable torrent speeds? Or I can leave it disabled?

Request them to change over the modem to something other than the beetel one, they provide Huawei and D-Link modems as well. When the slow down occurs is it time specific? Is it when the connection is under heavy load?
Also, you get the same slowing down on all devices? are they all wifi or do you have something hooked to the modem wired as well?

Also could you please run - Line quality test packet loss and latency | DSLReports, ISP Information

My IP address is not pingable. I've checked my firewall settings ICMPv4 is set to allow. I've searched Beetel 777VR1 router for any settings, but I don't find any such settings. Any ideas how to enable ICMP in Beetel 777VR1?

Thanks a lot @manojrk I can now use your tests to prove my point to the local service engineers the next time they visit me.

What they say is "This is how the internet works. Speed is not constant everywhere. It varies from user to user". ???

I don't know which area you live in and if we're allowed to share such information here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously the line rate must be higher, but in the screenshot the actual speed is being displayed. I have the same router, thus I can confirm that it is displaying speed, line rate is displayed on another page. And also the engineer who set up my connection, showed me their National Configuration Portal and the line rate is set to 46000 Max for all cities having the 40 Mbps plan.
I am gonna threaten to disconnect now to get the ports fixed. Does UPnp enable torrent speeds? Or I can leave it disabled?

Sorry, just so that we are on the same page... which screenshot are you talking about? The one on page one that says "DSL Configuration"?

Also, if the line rate as per this "National Config Portal" was max 46000 for 40Mbps customers then how is manjork's speed tests above for a 40Mbps customer showing 49Mbps download?

Upnp is a temp port forward, it should open the ports required, however it doesn't always work as intended, the proper way would be to port forward in the modem manually or DMZ a particular IP.

Back